ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk

Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun
Default how did you figure out what to do with your car?

well i am sitting here trying to plan out the final things i want to do the chevelle. I have so much i need to do i am starting to feel lost. at first i was focused on working from the trunk to the front. for some reason i got stumped by the brakes and i stopped working on it. now that i figured out the brakes i just have not pulled the trigger to get the parts. so i started to focus on the interior of the car. Nothing crazy just getting it back in to order. I know i am going to have to take it all back out because i am going to cut the trans tunnel and put in a 6 speed manual trans.

basically what i am i asking you guys is how did you plan it? how did you say ok i am going to focus on this and continue to work on it. its been a lot harder for me to work on my chevelle since my RX7 came back to the garage. I am working on the 7 to get it in better shape so that is where all my money is going. Plus i got pissed when i sold my 454 swap and then the buy backed out on me i lost a lot of motivation from that point.

so i am looking for a way to refoucus myself on getting the chevelle to meet my summer of 2013 goal. That goal is not to be fully restored but to have it in running and driving order and work on getting it to look better and drive better every winter from then on. I am have sat here and thought about selling both my LS1 rx7 and my 69 chevelle to buy another chevelle already done and running. but i dont know! just thinking out loud i guess!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Bowtie Member

I think we all feel your frustration Shaun. We have all been there.

1) We made a list of what was most important (to get it road ready), kinda like an outline.
2) Then we priced all the items on that list.
3) Then we figured what would make the most sense to do first.
You said "so i started to focus on the interior of the car. Nothing crazy just getting it back in to order. I know i am going to have to take it all back out because i am going to cut the trans tunnel and put in a 6 speed manual trans." Try to plan what is going to be the most time effective for you.
4) Figure a time frame for each item and be flexible, (example: it will take 3 days to do the brakes, but it might take 5 because you got interupted)
5) Take lots of pictures so that you can see the progress.
6) Post here so that we can root you on. Sometimes you need to have someone, who has been there, tell you that you can do it. I know that I needed that.
7) Ask for help. Friends, neighbors, family or anyone who can come over and make the time working on your car more enjoyable, and maybe even a good time.
8) Most of all be patient. It didn't get in that condition over night, so it is going to take some time to get it to where you want it.
9) Have a beer after your done every night.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Grumpy View Post
I think we all feel your frustration Shaun. We have all been there.

1) We made a list of what was most important (to get it road ready), kinda like an outline.
2) Then we priced all the items on that list.
3) Then we figured what would make the most sense to do first.
You said "so i started to focus on the interior of the car. Nothing crazy just getting it back in to order. I know i am going to have to take it all back out because i am going to cut the trans tunnel and put in a 6 speed manual trans." Try to plan what is going to be the most time effective for you.
4) Figure a time frame for each item and be flexible, (example: it will take 3 days to do the brakes, but it might take 5 because you got interupted)
5) Take lots of pictures so that you can see the progress.
6) Post here so that we can root you on. Sometimes you need to have someone, who has been there, tell you that you can do it. I know that I needed that.
7) Ask for help. Friends, neighbors, family or anyone who can come over and make the time working on your car more enjoyable, and maybe even a good time.
8) Most of all be patient. It didn't get in that condition over night, so it is going to take some time to get it to where you want it.
9) Have a beer after your done every night.
Nice list Nancy.

I agree the first thing is getting road ready. Building a car is a lot of work, that's why about 80 to 90% who start these projects never finish them, plus it is cheaper to buy one done at today's prices. For me the interior is the last thing to worry about. If it can't move under it's own power then nothing else matters. For me it was start on the frame and work my way up from there.

Last edited by shadowgray396; 05-11-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Bowtie Member

Ray,
it is really sad, like you said, that it can be cheaper to buy one done at today's prices. I just think about the stickers I see on car windows "Built not bought". I wouldn't give up all the time with my kids, all the frustration, and all the time and love that was put into building my car. It may not be worth what I put into it financially, but personally I don't care...it is a piece of me and my family...and to me that is priceless.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:16 AM

If I had a vision for my car to be exactly what I'm making it now when I started on it 14 years ago, I'd be at least $10k richer now... I have learned through building the car to "almost" what I want, that it gets very expensive to re-do things later.

Make a plan, and stick to it. Be honest with yourself on what you can afford and how you will REALLY use it.

I see a lot of guys stick 10k into an engine they never race, 8k into a suspension they never push to the limits, etc... you can quickly get wrapped up in trying to have the best of everything, which is great if you can afford it and have a use for it. If not, it's just a source of frustration and delays when the money could be better spent elsewhere on the car. My desire for an LS1/T56 took my car off the road for 2 years, when I could have just rebuilt the 4L60e and kept on cruising. On the other hand, I have had a lot of people ask me if I wish I hadn't tore my Chevelle apart, and my answer is "no". Now I'm building the car to be what I want, rather than what was cheaper and easier to do at the time. I'll be much happier with it in the long-run.

That's my long-winded advice... wish I could have learned it the easy way.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Grumpy View Post
Ray,
it is really sad, like you said, that it can be cheaper to buy one done at today's prices. I just think about the stickers I see on car windows "Built not bought". I wouldn't give up all the time with my kids, all the frustration, and all the time and love that was put into building my car. It may not be worth what I put into it financially, but personally I don't care...it is a piece of me and my family...and to me that is priceless.

Well said, I would not trade the experence of building my own car for anything (priceless) I know what I have and some day my son will enjoy the car with his family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
If I had a vision for my car to be exactly what I'm making it now when I started on it 14 years ago, I'd be at least $10k richer now... I have learned through building the car to "almost" what I want, that it gets very expensive to re-do things later.

Make a plan, and stick to it. Be honest with yourself on what you can afford and how you will REALLY use it.

I see a lot of guys stick 10k into an engine they never race, 8k into a suspension they never push to the limits, etc... you can quickly get wrapped up in trying to have the best of everything, which is great if you can afford it and have a use for it. If not, it's just a source of frustration and delays when the money could be better spent elsewhere on the car. My desire for an LS1/T56 took my car off the road for 2 years, when I could have just rebuilt the 4L60e and kept on cruising. On the other hand, I have had a lot of people ask me if I wish I hadn't tore my Chevelle apart, and my answer is "no". Now I'm building the car to be what I want, rather than what was cheaper and easier to do at the time. I'll be much happier with it in the long-run.

That's my long-winded advice... wish I could have learned it the easy way.
Great advice also Derek
Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 PM

thanks guys next pay i am going to order my parts i need for to complete my rear end i dont need much more for it. new shocks, fill my rear diff with oil once i get my brakes in and change my wheel studs and then everything in my rear will be brand new!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Bowtie Member

Shaun just take it one step at a time. And when you get frustrated, remember we are here and will listen to the rants, that's what friends are for. Most of all, we love pics ! or at least I do. lol...

Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 AM

lol thanks! i have no real new pictures to take as of yet. next week i hope i can get my parts in before the weekend but if not no biggie. i have an extra long weekend for memorial day weekend so that way i can work on the car in one day and get the rear end in place the way i want it!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 AM

When we bought Joans 72 convertible our original plan was to go over everything mechanically and drive it for a few years .We replaced all belts and hoses ,tires and all the normal things you would change after getting a car that has been in storage for 15 to 20 years.We got it safe and were enjoying driving it when I accidentally found a great body shop to restore the body and paint .I made the mistake of asking him in front of Joan What it would cost and she asked when he could do it and he said anytime we were ready and the next week it was there for restoration. Of course with new paint we had to have a new top and new interior and it snowballed from there to a new crate motor ,overdrive transmission, new rearend gears and then new wheels. We were able to pay as we went and took a kittle less than a year to build it her way. We could have bought one done for a lot less but we know this car and would not change a thing.

John