ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Maintenance

Old 04-03-2010, 06:40 PM

Default fuel

Hey guys i am new at this. I just got a 70 454 chevelle and I am trying to research whats best to use on fuel. I heard use the most expensive and others say it doesnt matter. What do you guys use?
Old 04-03-2010, 06:50 PM

As far as brand there isn't that much difference, often they come from the same tanks at the distribution center. Some do put in different additives but the gas itself is the same.

When it comes to what octane rating, that's a different story. You haven't said anything about your engine so it's hard to say. Unless your 454 is a very low compression truck engine you probably want to run 93 octane. That will allow you to run your ignition timing advanced for better performance and fuel economy.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the info. didnt think it was going to be this fast getting some info. I still have lots to learn on the motor and everything else in it. just trying to get ready with the info, like what type of synthetic oil etc......
Old 04-03-2010, 07:18 PM

Be careful with the oil, again it depends on the engine. If it doesn't have a roller cam then you need an oil with a higher ZDDP level to protect the cam. Today's cars all have roller cams and most oils don't have enough ZDDP to protect against cam failure.

Gather all the info you can on your engine and post it. GM made millions of 454's over 40 years and they're not all the same. What ever info you have can help us help you.

My Chevelle
Old 04-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned

I only run BP 93 in my car and there has not been a problem with the way it performs.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:00 PM

I merged your two threads into one here, so we can all see it together.

I'll support what Hank said, that the octane rating of the fuel your engine requires is specific to your engine. As with most other things in hot rodding, just enough is just right, but not enough or too much can/will hurt things. For the most part, the compression ratio dictates how much resistance to spontaneous combustion (octane rating) your fuel needs to have.

You don't need synthetic oil, you just need a good quality oil with an acceptable level of zddp. Off the top of my head, summit racing's new hot rod oil, Valvoline VR1 racing oil, the Joe Gibbs oils, and the Red Line racing oil....they are good for engines with flat tappet cams.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Happy easter guys. I really only have a minute cause my wife is probably going to kill me if she sees me doing this today. I am going to gather all the info and post it. I am receiving the car no latter than friday and i have a friend that may be able to help me with the info. You guys are awsome im really excited about this hole thing. Ill post soon. Thanks again
Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 PM

I know about that excitement thing. Good luck with the new car.

My Chevelle
Old 04-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Happy Easter to you too. I've snuck away from the "festivities" to come see what's happening at chevelleforum...don't tell anyone.

You need to get as many numbers off the engine components as you can...for starters get the:

Block casting number
Head Casting number

If you poke around a bit on this website, you will know right where to find them.

www.mortec.com
Old 04-04-2010, 10:31 PM

Google "Top Tier Gasoline" and choose from the list. These have additives to keep fuel system clean and trouble free. Even some of the fuel senders will fail with "cheaper" gasoline.