ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 01-09-2018, 06:52 PM

My 72 Chevy 4x4 had a manifold to break in half yesterday so its out of commission for a while .Need to get the front winch bumper put on anyway .

John
Old 01-12-2018, 06:46 AM

Had the windshields replaced in my truck and little car yesterday. Trying to get new tires and an alignment done on the car ASAP. I have it sold, just need to get that done.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:43 PM

Here ya go flash. Mom and dad got it new. I got it when the repair bill was to much and they got a new car. It has been officially totalled 4 times in its life. Once when it was 6 months old and 3X since i had it. Got all police reports it was never my fault.

Had 2 new engines and rear ends. I welded the front of a astro van on it. Doors forward. Had both sides taken out. Did I mention it has a ridiculously high mileage. 295/50/15 tires. Aftermarket Eaton Detroit true track locker. She likes sideways alot now.

I got the 65 thousand volt HEI for it still and a elderbrock 4 bbl intake. When the trans goes it is getting the 700R I got and the 4 bbl and hei. A set of headers and a different muffler. The glasspack would be deafening with the headers. Nice turbo muffler should do it.

First video is the ported and cammed engine. Next is the same motor with a milder cam. Runs the same. More low end less top end but a wash as for as a quarter mile time. Just more driver friendly now.

It runs the same as a LS motored truck. It wins more than it looses. Last night a sweet restored gold 70 Mach 1. Sitting at the light revving the motor acting all silly like we like to do. It was on at green. He laid rubber in second then the van shifted it was all over but the crying for him. He couldn't get ol vanny vanny.

It is my family car and grocery getter. But it runs good and i love driving it.

worst total it had.

As it is today

I dont have any good pics of the interior but it is all black now. I did that years and years ago. First is when the dash was first done. Second is when the door got put on after the 4rth total that whiped out the drivers side.

Second motor I built to put in it when the stock one broke a oil cooler line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hun4QS7oY0

Taps for that motor when it cracked a head ans sent shrapnel through the motor. I did this one for my van site. I miss that motor it genuinely makes me sad seeing this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqrP98sTCIw

And the way it idles today. Again the van Chronicles were all recorded for the van site I moderate. If you look to the left inside the garage. There is where the chevelle lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XpkkcqwMUA

And what water-cooler talk would be complete with out the sonogram bebore I was born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9uXB9XGMo

I drove chevelles till they got ridiculously expensive and people were stealing them like it was the thing to do. 36 of them in my life. The van is the chevelle replacement daily driver.

And since we rablin on. I got the boat interior finished now. Working on the motor. 3 liter I ported the head and making a parts list for the rebuild at the moment. I found a nice cam for it. 510 lift 216@50 dur 109 centerline.

Wife finished college now. She got to take the licencing test. She already got a job at the hospital. Once all this comes to pass. I can finish the POS chevelle to LOL. I am restoring the entire boat for half the cost of the interior in the chevelle. Wow they are expensive toys. But it will get done.

But now you know what i been up to I am not sitting on my duff.

Last edited by chevymaher; 01-28-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:54 PM

Have made two trips to the local LKQ U pull it yard. Picked up some parts for the truck... SUV rear rotors and dual piston calipers, a complete hydroboost set up, and an uncracked dash top. Now I just have to install everything and dye the dash top.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:45 AM

I have been making my final list on the barge of things to buy. I ported the wienie 3 liters head. I am getting rings and bearings for it fuel pump and a few other things. A better ignition for it.

I will have this thing completed in short order once the warm weather sets in. You cant glass the hull untill it is 70 degrees or better. I got the stringers in and all is left is do the deck and floatation foam.

Then put this old thing back together. Go boating as they say on the boat forum.

I was on a standstill on the chev because wifey was in college. This boat plopped into my lap free and i needed something to occupy myself. Damn chev is so expensive the silly boat is completely restored for half the cost of the interior in the chevelle alone.

Once this is done and she goes to work the chev is next on the to do list.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:58 AM

Well about to go put another alt on the van. Bad rear bushing. Made a crunchy sound idling last night. And that was what I found checking it out.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 AM

This past Tuesday I did my rear brake upgrade.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:18 AM

Man, you guys have been busy. Let's see, I changed the fuel filter on the motorhome the other day. Yup, that's about it.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 02-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Chevy maher ,that van is nice . I been buying trucks here ,bought an off brand 66 Ford 4x4 ,a 72 Chevy longbed , a new trailer ,a 4 wheeler ,a 2000 Subaru and looking at a 70 shortbed stepper if I can sell some trucks .

John
Old 02-18-2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Chevy maher ,that van is nice . I been buying trucks here ,bought an off brand 66 Ford 4x4 ,a 72 Chevy longbed , a new trailer ,a 4 wheeler ,a 2000 Subaru and looking at a 70 shortbed stepper if I can sell some trucks .
Thank you. I like it alot. It is fun to drive. My truck is a durango I got from my brother. A rust bucket. I am going to restore that one. Wow I got a alot of metal to fabricate.

I have had it for 6-7 years now. It earned its keep because I have owned jeeps a camache actually. And this thing is more sure footed in ice and snow than anything I ever owned. You are not getting stuck ever. I keep big AT type tires on it.

And I like its looks. It is actually the wife who don't even drives truck. I wanted a jeep. But she said you got 2 cars the van and the chevelle. Cant I have that. I said it needs so much work. She replied but look how bad the chevelle was and you fixed it. I said so the truck is your chevelle then? She smiled. Okay it is her baby and we keeping her.

I am getting a good tax refund this year waiting for that. Finish the boat up. She is finished with college now. Got her licence RN Nurse. She is hired at the hospital already. Friday was her last day at her old job. Monday starts paid orientation on the new one.

So economically things here just changed for the better. This is what we been waiting for. I go back to the chevelle after the boat is done. Well that and building a garage out back for all the crap I got sitting outside. But I expect the chev be done and driving within a year or so now.

I got my eye on the 536hp 578tq Crate Mercruiser 454 boat engine. Comes with a dyno sheet. After the vans Mercruiser it has I all about the boat engines. Slight burbling idle. And ungodly torque at idle. HP suffers some but they are so much fun to drive. A/C and stoplight traffic compatible. I am going to drive the chevelle. I mean alot like it is a regular car. No trailer queen going on here. It isn't raining Oh Yea I wanna burn alot of gas today LOL. Wear it out and return it to the car I bought. Get my moneys worth out of it.

Truck needs alot but I got it to where I think it will last till the chev is done now. Wait its turn in the hobbyshop rotation. Then new interior on the van and more engine mods.

I am a busy beaver here. I just got alot of different toys I fool with. And I fully expect a motorcycle to join the ranks here soon. Been a long time since I had one of those. Wife being a philippina a motorcycle is real high on her un needed cool things to have list. Got to love when the wife is onboard with the toys.

Just trying to enjoy getting old gracefully here.