ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk

Old 08-02-2015, 11:16 PM

Lightbulb The build will finally be starting - 71 chevelle

So my 71 has been sitting in my garage for well over a year now... I've had a few stumbling blocks that have hit me up side the head and side-lined my project. So it's just sat.

Well, I'm about to start.
The rental property is now done. The bathroom project here at the house will be complete by the end of the this week, as well the deck expansion.

Well as long as it's taken to get the ball rolling... my project has taken many turns (in my head and on paper) SS clone, Malibu, SS clone, Malibu...
The FINAL decision has been made, I'll be making an Big Block SS Clone.
It will most likely be running the 396/402 that I already have, and I'll be running an automatic. (There is a slight possibility that I may be going to 454/auto, the guy I bought my Chevelle from had one and at the time, wanted to sell it with the car, it came down to $$$. After a couple of bench racing sessions with him, he's mentioned that it's still for sale, and that he may be interested in a trade for the 396/4speed that I have).
Since I have it already, I'll be using my cowl induction hood.
The color is going to be shadow gray (yes, a 70 color) 90% sure, or possibly Nevada Silver.... Love them both
Black interior, looking for buckets to replace the bench. Console and SS dash.
Black SS stripes.

As far as rims.... ????
Presently I'm thinking the stock SS 15" rims for 71. Or possibly a set of aftermarket. Too early to tell.

The Goal, have it done by my 50th b-day - 3 years from next Saturday. So that means... August 8th 2018.

My best friend from high school and I just recently rekindled our friendship. He's offered to give me assistance when I need it. I'll take that...
We grew apart shortly after HS, but in HS we did everything together. We were always working on our cars and cruising chicks.
Well, the days of cruising for chicks is over, but we can still work on the cars.

Fingers Crossed

Last edited by BobKnake; 08-02-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:12 AM

Doesn't matter how long it takes, that you see it through. You will be glad you did. Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing some pictures as you move forward.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:45 PM

Nice to hear of another '71 being brought back. Look forward to seeing some pics. Almost decided to go with the Shadow Gray or Nevada Silver myself. Back and forth, back and forth, finally went with original code 26 Mulsanne Blue.

Not quite finished with mine but after the body/paint only a few things left.

1. Replace wheel well opening trim-ordered new from Classic Headquarters
2. Lower rocker molding trim-just scored NOS pair from the evil Ebay, can't wait for them to get here.
3. Repair the dash radio section-hacked for a CD I can live with but not when the PO put round oil & temp gauges where the cig. lighter goes. Makes it really UGLY
4. New Vintage Air A/C for next summer-gets HOT here in the flatlands of Kansas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle - Final Four Pics 003.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	3658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle - Final Four Pics 002.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	3659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle - Final Four Pics 004.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	3660  
Old 09-28-2015, 12:06 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71-SS350 View Post
Nice to hear of another '71 being brought back. Look forward to seeing some pics. Almost decided to go with the Shadow Gray or Nevada Silver myself. Back and forth, back and forth, finally went with original code 26 Mulsanne Blue.

Not quite finished with mine but after the body/paint only a few things left.

1. Replace wheel well opening trim-ordered new from Classic Headquarters
2. Lower rocker molding trim-just scored NOS pair from the evil Ebay, can't wait for them to get here.
3. Repair the dash radio section-hacked for a CD I can live with but not when the PO put round oil & temp gauges where the cig. lighter goes. Makes it really UGLY
4. New Vintage Air A/C for next summer-gets HOT here in the flatlands of Kansas.

can't wait to see it...

I scored a set of 71 SS rims (oval hole) last week for a VERY good price, locally. They need cleaned up, rings and center caps... but they are in great shape other than that..... He gave me a 5th SS rim (round hole), figured it could be the spare...

As far as my color... Well... I'm kind of fickle when it comes to this car. Originally my wife wanted it Grey or Silver and I was good with that... I actually would still do it. But since she's not actually involved with this build (she's got an 87 Grand Wagoneer).

I'm going to an entirely different color...
I'm heading to the GREEN family. I have always liked the "odd" color (at least by today's standards)...
I've narrowed it down now to.... Cottonwood or Lime Green.
I actually blame the guy who I got the rims from... He had pics of his old cars... One was butternut yellow Camaro and then a Grecian Green Camaro. He stated he likes the Odd colors... I got to thinking on my way home, I DO TOO.

Now, I just need to nail it down between those two...

Ive go time to win her over on the color, but in the end, she'll say it's my choice.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:26 AM

When I bought my 71 Malibu I made the mistake of buying the car sight unseen. It was advertised as being frame off and did look like it was from the pictures. The car already had everything I was looking for a BB, 4 speed, and 12bolt with a non functional cowl hood and a different color than your common red, blue or black. Mine is Cottonwood Green the color it was born with. After a 3 year extreme cleaning, detailing, and personalization of the car I finally got it registered this past July. I'm not the type to put SS emblems on a car that is not truly an SS so my car will wear the Malibu Emblems proudly. Take your time, if you get discouraged walk away from it and just go back to it with a different frame of mind. I've gotten to the point where I thought I was loosing my touch with these cars because of things not working out right but what I'm finding is it isn't me it's the junk parts that you buy today. My car has around 400 miles on it and I have had 3 brand new parts fail on the car already (radio, combination brake valve, and speedometer cable). Here's a slideshow of just some of before and after pics along with changes I made to make it different.

http://s814.photobucket.com/user/12b...ogress/Changes

Last edited by hkalin; 09-29-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Hank, only 1 picture works.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hayes View Post
Hank, only 1 picture works.
Ken, hopefully it's right now.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:16 PM

Works great. Nice car.

I did notice that in your pictures you have 2 cup washers on the back of the inner fender. They go up on top of the inner fender and 2 washers like this should be on the back.

Last edited by shadowgray396; 09-29-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:02 PM

Not a factory 71' color, but my ex girlfriend got me liking 67' Mountain Green. Rare, but very cool color IMO.