ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM

Default Installing bushings in rearend housing

Well I got the new control arms and bushings on Friday so I installed them on Saturday. I ended up just reversing the process I used to remove them, ball joint press.

I put the bushings in the freezer over night, cleaned and lightly oiled the housing ears. Applied a little oil to the bushings and tried to drive them in with a block of wood and small sledge. That didn't work too well. Too much movement in the axle with only the lower arms attached. Also no room to swing the hammer, exhaust pipe was in the way. So I gave up on that and went back to the ball joint press.

Didn't have the right size adapter for the press so I cut off a piece of old pipe that had just the right size ID. Hard to hold that press and all the pieces together while laying on the ground under the car. I duct taped the piece of pipe to the piece of flat stock I used when I removed the old ones, one less piece to try and hold in place. The flat stock was used in place of the large ring that comes with the press on the front housing side of the bushing. The large ring is too large in diameter and hits the housing so you can't center it on the bushing.

Anyway the passenger side bushing went right in no problem. On the drivers side there is a hump in the housing and the piece of pipe I cut wouldn't sit flat on the ear. Used a sawzall and cut a V out of it so it would clear the housing and that bushing went right in. Hardest part was getting the axle in the right position so I could pull the control arms down over the bushing and get the bolt through.

Over all wasn't too bad a job. If you have a friend that can help hold the ball joint press and the various pieces until you get it snugged down it would be a pretty quick job pressing them out and new ones in. I managed to do it myself but another pair of hands would certainly help.

Have to bolt on the sway bar and mount the rear wheels, ran out of time with Easter being this weekend.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle

Last edited by Hank70SS; 04-05-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Definitely would be easier with axle out or body off. I froze the bushings but by the time I gave up trying to beat them in they were to outside temps. Didn't matter though because they went in easy with the ball joint press.

My body did object to climbing in and out from underneath the car though. Motrin, then some more Motrin, then next morning some more Motrin.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle