ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle Introductions

Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Default '71 Chevelle Pickup (El Camino) Owner :)

No, I'm not lost; just acquired the aforementioned car as a rolling project for my son and I. He's 17 and has wanted an El Camino since he was 15, finally found one in good enough shape that he could enjoy driving it while we work on it. Since it's mechanically the same car, and mechanical work is what it needs, I joined up here looking for help and insight.

Anyway, I'm in the Chicago area, have owned a red '67 Chevelle [my first car!!], silver '69 Chevelle, and green '70 Chevelle over the years. If I only knew then what they'd be worth today!! My '67 was a 283 with a Muncie 4 speed and posi rear end and black interior [buckets with console]; started my car owning days the right way!! Was wicked quick light to light, couldn't do much in a long run. But was it fun!!

Now as a parent I'm a little more concerned about reliability and gas mileage, how time does change us. So this car is for safe fun, hopefully with a minimum of teen-age stupidity. This '71 has a 350 GM Crate motor recently installed, a TH350, Edelbrock manifold, and Edelbrock 1405 carb. Barely ran when we got it, fixed many things since then. Next project is the rear axle pinion bearing is going, very bad at this point. Looking at possibly replacing the entire housing [it's a 2.56 open 10 bolt] with another 10 bolt; hopefully something with a 3.08 with posi. Found a couple of 12 bolts listed locally, but they turned out to be from Cutlasses and even though they will physically fit everything I read says I'm better off to stick with a Chevy axle. So there you have my story, I'll be searching the site and going through the threads checking stuff out; hoping people here are willing to accept a "Half-brother".
Old 07-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Welcome to the site. You definely want to stay away from the olds rear ends. All they are 10 bolts with 12 bolts on the outside cover, and parts are expensive for them. Not as good as a Chevy 12 bolt. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Ray
Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 PM

Default Quick Pic

Here's a picture I took when we first got it home about a month ago, need to go buy a battery for my regular camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0003.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1425  
Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Banned

Hi and welcome!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Welcome, El Camino, Chevelle, Malibu all the same. We also like Impalas, Novas and Camaros. Hope we can help you in some way.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddrakul View Post
Here's a picture I took when we first got it home about a month ago, need to go buy a battery for my regular camera.

Very nice looking.

Ray
Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Welcome from another El Camino owner .

John
Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 PM

Default Thanks for the warm welcome!

Thanks to the many members who have offered such a warm welcome!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Bowtie Member

Welcome golddrakul. I am sure that the great bunch of guys here will help you with your questions. Everyone is welcome here. I look forward to reading more and seeing more of your pictures.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 PM

By the way an El Camino is NOT a half brother ,its a Chevelle with a large open trunk unless its like mine and has a hard cover on it. Mine is a 72 SS El Camino with a 350/350 and 12 bolt ,all original and gets around 18 mpg driven normally. Look forward to more pics of it and hope you and your son enjoy it as much as I have mine.

John