ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Paint and Body

Old 03-25-2016, 08:27 PM

Default Headlight Bucket Question?

Today I was able to work on the car some and I was putting the headlight buckets in that I've had for a while. I bought them from Ground Up and each one of them is the same. When I put the the headlights in they're all clocked different directions except the outside drivers side and it's facing the right way. When I looked on ground ups website it didn't show different ones. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if they screwed up the order but this isn't working very well?

Here's a couple of pictures.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:03 AM

Originals all look pretty much the same but they aren't They're stamped A,B,C and D.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 03-26-2016, 10:44 AM

I had fits with mine also. One thing is the bright lights are keyed different than the outside ones. They are close but no cigar. So 2 buckets are for the inside lights and 2 for the outside and they are different. Indentations are off on one spot 1/8 inch so the bulbs do not interchange. But they will go in wrong like that. Try a different bucket.
Take the other light out and compare the notches. I had 3 inners and one outer when I started. But I had the left over El camino ones. And thank god out of those the one i needed was good enough to use. The others were trashed.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:26 PM

I actually might have some 1970 Chevelle headlight parts. 2 owners previous on my car started cloning it to a 1970. The guy I bought it from switched it back and gave me a bunch of extra parts in the trunk. I think there was a set of headlight mounts. If I find them you can have them for the cost of shipping if you want. I don't have a use for them. I think they are originals.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank70SS View Post
Originals all look pretty much the same but they aren't They're stamped A,B,C and D.
Correct and installed drivers side A-B D-C is on outside of passenger fender.

Check and see if they have any letters on them. All the head lights should look the same in front and if I remember correctly the tabs on the high beam vs the low beams are not the same, so they will not fit in the wrong bucket.

Last edited by shadowgray396; 03-26-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulywood View Post
I actually might have some 1970 Chevelle headlight parts. 2 owners previous on my car started cloning it to a 1970. The guy I bought it from switched it back and gave me a bunch of extra parts in the trunk. I think there was a set of headlight mounts. If I find them you can have them for the cost of shipping if you want. I don't have a use for them. I think they are originals.
There you go, another good offer.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymaher View Post
I had fits with mine also. One thing is the bright lights are keyed different than the outside ones. They are close but no cigar. So 2 buckets are for the inside lights and 2 for the outside and they are different. Indentations are off on one spot 1/8 inch so the bulbs do not interchange. But they will go in wrong like that. Try a different bucket.
Take the other light out and compare the notches. I had 3 inners and one outer when I started.
I checked the ones I had and all 4 of them are exactly the same. The indents for the tabs on the bulbs and everything. So, I'm guessing someone screwed up my order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulywood View Post
That would be AWESOME! If you find them let me know and we can work the details out and I can sent you the payment however you prefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
Correct and installed drivers side A-B D-C is on outside of passenger fender.

Check and see if they have any letters on them. All the head lights should look the same in front and if I remember correctly the tabs on the high beam vs the low beams are not the same, so they will not fit in the wrong bucket.
The ones I have, have no stamping of any sort on them. After I did some reading last night, that was one of the few things I found, was something about the letters that were supposed to be on them and the order they go in.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:33 PM

I'll check this weekend. Need to look for a couple of parts for my car anyway.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:12 PM

This is all I found. Not sure what year it's for and I can't find any info stamped on it.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:39 AM

I may have a couple, not a full set. I'll take a look, not sure if I still have them or not.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle