ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 PM

Default Mini tubbing a 65?

I've searched around and can't find any specifics. I know a run of the mill mini tub is not possible with the 65 because the frame rails are already at the edge of the tubs. So that leads me to believe you can either "TUB" it or narrow the frame.

My questions for the guys who know or who have narrowed the frame are more of confirmation of what I think my options are.

Cut the frame off at the dog leg just in front of the lower CA mount and cut the spring perches off of upper CA crossmember. Narrow the frame down until the upper CA mounts are next to the frame rail (about 6"). Fabricate a new x member for coil over shocks.

Now would you keep the lower CA mounts on the frame and cut the axle mounts off. Then re mount them about 6" inboard? -or-would you leave the axle mounts alone, cut off the frame end of the LCA mount and swap them to the outside of the frame (pass. mount to the drivers side and visa versa)?

Or round file the entire factory suspension and put ladder bars on it? I would say use a four bar, but then I have to scrap the floor pans. Might as well back half the car if I am going to do that.

Thanks guys

Last edited by DarinCraft; 03-06-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 AM

Here's a couple pics showing the mini-tub of the frame of the former Mark Steilow '64 Chevelle "Malitude" built as a PHR project car, during its reincarnation by Jody Bernard...

Steilow narrowed the control arm mounts on the axle, and kept the frame mounts inboard of the frame rail. There is no negative side-effect to doing this.

He also moved the spring mounts inboard, because the springs have to sit inboard of the frame also... there is a slight negative side effect to this, which is that the roll stiffness is reduced, so it takes either a stiffer spring, or a bigger sway-bar to achieve the same roll stiffness.

If it's a street car, I'd avoid ladder bars... they turn your whole axle assembly into one really-big sway-bar, which results in bad oversteer if you ever need to make a turn at speed.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 PM

Thank you very much. It looks like he narrowed it the width of the frame, is that about right?

I was thinking moving the springs would result in excessive body roll. I thought a coil over mounted at opposing angles would fight their narrow position.

Thanks again
Darin