ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Paint and Body

Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM

Default cowl induction door question

My car originally came with the ZL2 cowl induction hood, but somewhere in the past 40 years it was replaced with the regular domed hood. I want to put a cowl induction hood back on it and the I have a question, can I just get away with installing the outer door with the vacuum actuator? This will allow the door to open with vacuum will it not?

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...t_Code=ACX-970

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by 70SS396; 06-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM

Absolutely. The inner door is in no way needed for the outer door to function, giving you the flapper effect on the hood. I probably should have saved some money and done mine this way but ended up wiring everything in with the kick-down switch.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:35 PM

I don't see the check valve in that kit, fyi. This is what is inserted in the middle of the vacuum line so that once the hood flapper opens it slowly closes rather than snapping back shut when you lift off the pedal.

On that topic, it seems most of the aftermarket check valves do not work very well anyway. I know the one I received from Ground Up does not keep my hood flapper open nearly as long as the factory style intended.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Cool! Thanks for the response fleming!

I noticed that about the valve too, they sell it seperately. I looked at NPD and I can piece all the parts together cheaper than what Ground Up sells their kit for.

Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 PM

Its amazing how things as a kit which should be cheaper are marketed to us unsuspecting boobs as if we would not notice its sometimes cheaper individually .Not just car stuff either ,groceries are even worse and even Home Depot is in on it.I needed 2 threaded eyelets to hang some stuff at my shop so I stopped by the Depot and picked up a package of 2 of the right size for $1.89 ,then I noticed right below them they were $.50 each .Their math and mine dont work right ,I know Im a tightwad but that helps me spend more on my cars.

John