ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Maintenance

Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 AM

Default Leaky brakeline (rear axle)

I replaced the hard lines that run across the rear axle with stainless ones. The pass. side is leaking at the fitting that goes into the back of the wheel cyl.
What have you done for this issue?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Ive never had that problem so I dont know if teflon tape would work or not. You could always try it and just keep an eye on it to make sure it isnt leaking .

John
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Ive never had that problem so I dont know if teflon tape would work or not. You could always try it and just keep an eye on it to make sure it isnt leaking .
Hey John,
It looks like it might be leaking where the line goes into the the fitting. I'm thinking the flare is not sealing properly. I had it pretty tight, but it still leaked.I read some where to loosen it up and then retighten and some times the flare will seal. Other wise, I'm gonna have to remove the line and possibly re flare it. Man I hate leaks.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM

Stainless are hard to get to seal. Steel is softer and easier to seal. I haven't put fluid in mine yet, I'm expecting to have the same problem some where since I have stainless also.

You may have to loosen the nut and try to tighten it like you said. Doing this a few times will help the flared tube to better -match up-with the union. Make sure you have a tubing wrench so you don't round the flats on the nut.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
Stainless are hard to get to seal. Steel is softer and easier to seal. I haven't put fluid in mine yet, I'm expecting to have the same problem some where since I have stainless also.

You may have to loosen the nut and try to tighten it like you said. Doing this a few times will help the flared tube to better -match up-with the union. Make sure you have a tubing wrench so you don't round the flats on the nut.
Thanks Ray,
I do have the wrenches your talking about. The one I'm having problems with is the one that goes across the rear axle on the pass side. Its the fitting that goes into the wheel cyl. I'm going to try and tighten and loosen it a couple times and hope for the best.
Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 AM

I bought new hard lines for my 59 and had the same problem. The fittings and p-valve are brass and probably deflect and create a tight seal but the wheel cylinders are cast and are not as forgiving. I ended up replacing one wheel cylinder and life is good. In retrospect I should have tried to light sand the seat of the WC with emery cloth ... that might have worked.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 PM

So have you got the leak fixed yet?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
So have you got the leak fixed yet?
No Ray,
I haven't been able to get it to seal. I think I'm going to remove the line and inspect the flair. Maybe I'll get it reflaired and try it again.