ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2012, 12:07 PM

Question Help with 67 Chevelle.

A bunch of problems with this car. I have been trying to read up on identifying a car a buddy of mine bought.

He bought it from a friend sight unseen and is supposed to be a true 67 SS big block car.

We went up by Dallas last week and picked up the car. Two huge problems. No vin tag behind the windshield or cowl tag on the fire wall. I talked to the guy and he told me that the car had been stolen and was turned into a race car before it was recovered. Hopefully the state of Oklahoma can help with some original numbers.

I have not checked yet for the indent numbers that are supposed to be stamped on the frame on the drivers side by the rear axle. If they are there are they the original vin number? I have found guides to decipher vin tags and the cowl tag but have not been able to find out what the indent numbers are on the frame.

Anyway it was recovered in Oklahoma and titled. It has a tag inside the door from Oklahoma. I am hoping that somehow I can call Oklahoma and get the original vin number for that car. It still has the Oklahoma plates on it.

I have been reading up and true big block cars are supposed to have some different brackets for the rear suspension. I have tried to find pictures of the rear suspension for 67 big block cars and have come up blank.

The car does have a 3/8" fuel line and 12 bolt posi rear end.

Somebody else told me that the A-frames should be boxed or something like that but I have not been able to confirm this. Same guy told me that SS big block cars that came with a 4 speed have some kind of traction bar on them from the factory.

Any help telling me what the indent numbers mean if they are still on the frame and what the rear suspension difference is for big block cars would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:29 PM

The bracket on the rear axle with a traction bar was speciffic to 67' Camaros with a BBC. Mono leaf springs + big block TQ = lots of axle wrap. GM added the passenger side traction bar as a band aid before installing multi leaf springs for the real fix. You may be able to find a partial VIN under the heater box. Look for a stamping on the passenger side axle tube to see what year, etc. the rear axle is. Hopefully you can find the original VIN # somewhere and it starts with 138 - SS car.