ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Wheels & Tires

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Who To Trust

Last year the wife was lookin at the car and said "We need more meat on the rears". So I went from Uniroyal 225/70R/15 to BF Goodrich 255/70R/15. Had em on for 2 days..........again, NOPE, more meat !! So I went with Primewell's (offshoot of Firestone) 275/60R/15. This kinda satisfied her (almost). We ended up with a vibration and had them rebalanced by the owner of the tire store. The vibration was gone for a while but came back. The owner (been doing tires for 45 years) re balanced all 4 of our tires for free. It ran kinda smooth but not 100% perfect.

This year, 2 weeks ago on the way out to Bakers show we were on the expressway doin around 70mph and the steering wheel started shaking pretty bad. Slowed down to 60 and it wasn't too bad.

Two days ago on Saturday I told the wife I was gonna take the wheels off and take them to Discount Tire which is only a 1/2 mile from the house and have them check the tires for balance, out of roundness or what ever. Guy looked at the tires and said they were 14 years old and were starting to get ply separations on both tires. We ended getting Goodyear Touring 215/70R/15. Took it for a ride and now its smooth as silk.

Now she's saying the tires look too small in the opening and maybe we need shorter springs (I just put HD springs on the front last year) and we still need bigger meat on the back. I told her that I would have to get wider Cragars (I have 15x7 on there) for the rear if we went any larger. She replied (almost blew me outa my shoes) I don't care, I want this car to look BAD ASSSS !!

Last edited by Ken Hayes; 11-05-2014 at 12:32 PM.