ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Maintenance

Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Default Thinking about getting '72 Chevelle

Hey guys,
I have the chance to get a '72 chevelle for $2600 dollars. They said that there is a rust hole in an outer panel and no rust holes on the inside. The engine has been rebuilt. Is there any major problem that these cars have that I should check out? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Bowtie Member

$2,600.00 sounds like a great deal. But with anything that sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I would say that for that price you are probably looking at some major work. There is no way for anyone to be able to tell you what to look for in a car that is almost 40 yrs old, without looking at the car up close.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 09-13-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaborsVette View Post
Hey guys,
I have the chance to get a '72 chevelle for $2600 dollars. They said that there is a rust hole in an outer panel and no rust holes on the inside. The engine has been rebuilt. Is there any major problem that these cars have that I should check out? Thanks.
For $2,600 I would expect lots and lots of rust.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 AM

First thing I'd want is to crawl all over the car and look for rot and signs of being wrecked and put back together. A clean title/registration is also nice. I know in NY it is hard to get papers on an older car if it is out of the DMV system. Check the frame by the steering box for damage and check the passenger side under the battery box for rot. It is common if the battery was leaking down. Check the floors for rot under the carpets. It is amazing how they can look good from the underside but under the carpet it is wet and rotted. Look for evidence of a leaking cowl panel and windshield. Check for rot in the rear wheelhouses, trunk drop downs and quarter panels. Also check the filler panel under the back window. $2600 sounds like a good deal but you may have to put double that into it to make it a half way decent roadworthy driver. For guys like me, cars like that are the only way to get myself in the drivers seat. Don't pass it up because it sounds too good to be true. Just don't get caught up in the excitement of buying a Chevelle.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Another common ailment to look for, is look at the frame behind front tires where it starts to turn down. I'm not sure why, but it's not uncommon to see cracks develop here. I've seen it a few times.