ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 07-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Administrator Bowtie Member

Think he was talking to me. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Not a great pic but here are 275/15's on the rear with the lowering springs. It fits pretty well but I know its not to everyones tastes.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Dave,
did you take any measurements before and after the spring change?Do you have a BB or SB? After doing some reading on the forums, I noticed people that bought the 1" drop springs ended up cutting a coil to lower it even more. If I bought springs, I don't want to buy to conservative or go over board and go to the other extreme. Maybe I'll just have to modify the ones I have. Decisions, decisions.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator Bowtie Member

Brian,

Measuring before the spring change would not have done us much good. The drag race front springs we had on the car had sagged so bad that the lowering springs actually raised the car

I can say that the 2 inch lowering springs have been settling to the point where I hope they don't anymore. As it sits right now I am going to have the exhaust tweaked a bit to make more clearance in the rear.

Dave
Old 07-08-2010, 11:06 PM

I was inquiring about a Eibach spring kit for Chevelles on E-bay.
I asked the vendor that had the kit listed if they would fit my application.
The response was Eibach doesn't offer a spring kit for BB Chevelles. I'm glad they were honest with me. I almost pulled the trigger. A word of advice to those thinking about buying springs for Chevelles, even though the application says all A-bodies including SS. You might want to ask if that includes BB Chevelles.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 AM

In the front, rubber bushings provide a smoother ride and maintenance-free life... Poly bushings provide better performance, but require somewhat regular greasing. The "PolyGraphite" ones don't need the greasing, but they have a shorter life because the graphite actually breaks down the polyurethane.

What is "best" depends on your intended useage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank70SS View Post
2" springs seem kind of short, but if you're happy with it that's all that matters.
Bah... My car is dropped 4" already and I would drop it another inch if it wouldn't mess up the geometry. Can't do that with long-tube headers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie-Bri View Post
I was inquiring about a Eibach spring kit for Chevelles on E-bay.
I asked the vendor that had the kit listed if they would fit my application.
The response was Eibach doesn't offer a spring kit for BB Chevelles. I'm glad they were honest with me. I almost pulled the trigger. A word of advice to those thinking about buying springs for Chevelles, even though the application says all A-bodies including SS. You might want to ask if that includes BB Chevelles.
I wouldn't worry about that, the Eibach spring rates are around 550lb/in where stock smallblock are ~325lb and stock bigblock are ~375lb.

BB vs. SB might make a difference of about 1/2" with the 550lb rate, and most people end up cutting their Eibachs anyway. If they're too short, urethane spring shims (that go on top or bottom of the spring, not between the coils) are cheap and easy to use.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
In the front, rubber bushings provide a smoother ride and maintenance-free life... Poly bushings provide better performance, but require somewhat regular greasing. The "PolyGraphite" ones don't need the greasing, but they have a shorter life because the graphite actually breaks down the polyurethane.

What is "best" depends on your intended useage.

Bah... My car is dropped 4" already and I would drop it another inch if it wouldn't mess up the geometry. Can't do that with long-tube headers though.

I wouldn't worry about that, the Eibach spring rates are around 550lb/in where stock smallblock are ~325lb and stock bigblock are ~375lb.

BB vs. SB might make a difference of about 1/2" with the 550lb rate, and most people end up cutting their Eibachs anyway. If they're too short, urethane spring shims (that go on top or bottom of the spring, not between the coils) are cheap and easy to use.
I was just kidding, I meant 2" springs, not 2" drop.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank70SS View Post
I was just kidding, I meant 2" springs, not 2" drop.
I tried 2" springs, but they wouldn't stay and kept falling out.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

Quote:

Wow, using 2" springs would have given you no suspension as all, it would be like driving a go kart...Ha
Old 07-23-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Once you put the shocks back in they can't fall out. They won't do any good but at least they won't fall out.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle