ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Electrical

Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM

Yea flash ill look into that I need to sign up if I can get this car all finished, if anything me and my brother will be taking it (considering I can't drive quite yet). Yea I'd love to meet you guys and learn more about classics ik quite a bit as it is about a gm 350 but that's it. I've got a lot of projects, I got 10 classics in my barn, every one is a gm. 2 chevelles, 1 parts other mothers( the one were talking about ) 3 Comaros, 67 RS, 68 SS BIG block 396, 69 project RS, I wanna say 74 nova (badass ), 78 comaro z28, 77 comaro z28, 66 impala motor all custom 327 with 11:1 comp with 350 horse corvette cam, and one Malibu. So basically I will prolly need a lot of help specially with the 69. It's in primer and all the electrical is torn out.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm all the way View Post
I plan on doing that tomorrow. So I need to set my distributor in my truck it's a 95 and electric so would I just set the motor to tdc and set my rotor to were cyl 1 is firing and slide it down in.

Thanks is your gray custom or stock. My moms used to be silver but the guy before us repainted it silver puter metallic. Really sparkly in the sun and unique color. Thanks
Yes

My car is the stock color that came from the factory. Chevy offered a cortez silver and a shadowgray color. The gray is more rare.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 PM

So my book says get it to tdc then turn the motor ccw 15 degrees then turn it clockwise so it's reading 12-0 on my hermonic balancer gage (idk tech terms). Do I need to do this. If so why because that's the exact firing position?
Thanks shadow
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM

Most motors run 15 to 20 degreess before or after top dead center. But I always set that using a timing light.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM

Ray ,give us all a lesson on how to set timing with a timing light ,I have three timing lights that have never been used .I have always just set mine by ear but Im not very good at that anymore.

John
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 PM

Wait so would setting the ignition timing b easier when I can turn the motor over (I can right now oil pan needs cleaning and new headers)
Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 PM

Ohh by the way thanks to you guys the 72 chevelle runs now stated it last night. It's got a bit of a miss not really noticeable only at a certain amount of rpms like 2000. I'm thinking before we take it to woodward I'm gonna convert it to electrical distributor. That's my best guess on why its missing. And it's got a small exhaust leak right before the muffler. Now change the tannyy fluid, oil and check the rear end fluid. Already started on the big block camaro. That's another question. I'd hate to ask a camaro question on a chevelle site but same motor right. When I turn the motor over with the cap off I can't see the point opening at all. I'm getting power to the points. The first thing I thought of was the cam on the distributor is striped and its not opening. Or does it need new points. And does anyone know the distributor firing order for a 396.
Thanks guys for the help.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Same drill, stop the distributor on the high lobe and check your points. If they are not opening adjust them so they do. The firing order is the same for almost all chevy motors. Glad to hear you got the Chevelle running. The miss could be timing, carb adjustment, or a vacuum advance problem. You can convert your original distributor with a protronics ignition system. I running that in my Chevelle. It looks stock, but is not. A search on the net will give you info about it.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM

Thanks and the camaro runs now there both clean and waxed and we drove the comaro but the chevelle has a bad tranny gasket. That's the next thing. Thanks guys really epprieciate the help.
Gm all the way
Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM

Glad to hear you got everything running.