ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Performance > Chevelle Pro-Touring

Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 AM

Location: Currently change between two locations, OKC and Harelton Texas

I have a Flowmaster 80 on my camaro, very happy with it. 3" pipe from cat back. Has a real nice mellow deep sound and not so loud I cannot hear the stereo, even with T-tops out.

It's single in dual out though. True dual, I don't know if they make that series single in, single out, would have to look it up.

Let us know how things work out. I was going to go 3" Dual with Glass Packs, legal where I live, but may be too loud.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 AM

I have an older edelbrock system under my car,now the headers are starting to rust even though its garage kept the ceramic headers just arnt keeping up . i am trying to get a good sounding system and dont think flowmaster is the way to go . i trailer to all shows , so i am looking for a aggresive sounding system if anyone has any good ideas. o i left out that my engine comp. is 95% chrome so i want to stick with that look on the headers.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 AM

Details on your engine? (Cubic inch, compression ratio, etc) Are tail pipes a must?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM

350 motor , bore over 383 400 cam , yes duals out the back . 14 1/2 to one if i were to guess on the compresion
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BLACKNWHITE View Post
350 motor , bore over 383 400 cam , yes duals out the back . 14 1/2 to one if i were to guess on the compresion
Wow. So are you running racing fuel with that compression.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 02-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Try a set of Dynomax race bullets, they flow great and sound mean.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM

I think what some people dont realize or may forget, Flowmasters were originally designed for all out performance and a "race car" type sound on the street. To have this sound there are some drawbacks. The "droning" at certain RPMS's with the original performance and race series, this a by product of the series.

After complaints from people putting these on their "daily or occassional drivers" regarding the droning, they developed other lines that elimnate the droning while still providing performance and some sound.

If people dont want the droning, they need to look at Flowmasters other series of mufflers and not put mufflers that were intended for all out race or serious performance on their vehicles.

I have original Flowmaster 40 Series on the 67 Chevelle and on my SS Monte Carlo. Do they drone at certain RPM's- YES. I know that and expect it, so it doesnt bother me. Im going to put the new Flowmaster single chamber race series on the Chevelle, so Im sure it will be worse, but Im after performance and will deal with the by products.

As a comparision, I have the Flowmaster Super 44's with true full 3" exhaust with super flow cats and an "H" pipe on my 502 powered suburban. There is none of the aforementioned drone, and they sound is great. The truck is pretty much a daily driver, so I selected a muffler that fit what I wanted. It worked out well.

There are alot of manufacturers that have followed in Flowmasters steps.... I wonder why ? They have added to or made slight changes but the overall design remains the same, depending on the series of muffler.

As with most other things, you get what you pay for. You need to select a muffler that fits your driving patterns and intended uses. There are tons of choices. As another comparision. My brother in laws almost 900hp small block powered 66 SS Nova, he had the polished 3.5" magnaflow race mufflers, and went to the Flowmaster single chamber race mufflers....he didnt like the magna flows.

Again it all comes down to your uses and needs. Flowmaster makes a great product, as do alot of manufacturers. So choose wisely grasshopper...
Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Bowtie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreet67 View Post
I think what some people dont realize or may forget, Flowmasters were originally designed for all out performance and a "race car" type sound on the street. To have this sound there are some drawbacks. The "droning" at certain RPMS's with the original performance and race series, this a by product of the series.

Again it all comes down to your uses and needs. Flowmaster makes a great product, as do alot of manufacturers. So choose wisely grasshopper...
I totally agree with the droning. I will be changing my exhaust this year to something quieter. I have had my car for over 15 years and at first I wanted it to sound "mean". As I have gotten older I appreciate the "sleeper". Also when you start to make those 3+ hr trips the droning gets old quickly.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Check out the Super 44's, I think you will like them. Theyre still decently loud, but with no droning.

I agree and I wouldnt like 3 hrs of droning either. I drive my rides 30 minutes at the most or they get trailered, so its not that bad, but many hours would get old real quick.

I did find though with the original series, either increase or decrease your speed/rpm and the droning goes away, but again traffic flow depsnds if you can keep that method up.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 PM

I love my flowmaster 40s and have even been thinking about finding something that's even louder. I never really experience droning since I'm always sifting anyways. Here's a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qaOP...e_gdata_player