ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Electrical

Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 AM

Default battery or starter issue?

I took my car out for a spin over the weekend and experienced something that I thought I'd see if anyone might have had a similar past experience with or feedback. I drove the car about 20 minutes and was at operating temp, then stopped to get gas and shut if off. When I went to restart it, it acted as though the battery barely had the juice to turn over the motor. Luckily it caught so I didn't have to crank it more than a few seconds. This has never occurred before. And when I started it up that morning, it cranked with plenty of power.

I did not have the time to look into it once I returned it to the garage and might try to re-create the situation this weekend. The battery I think I can rule out since it cranked over fine earlier in the day-however, I did not try cranking again after I returned home since I was in a rush to be somewhere. And as I said, the car has never done this before and this just came out of the blue. Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM

John, I would guess the starter since it is a common problem with a stock starter when the engine is hot. Is it a stock starter? That is why alot of guys go with high torque starter. Battery can make a difference also. You want a deep cell battery wih lot of starting amps. My old Chevelle would do that when I shut it off and tried to start it after a very short time.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Headers on the car? If so, typical heat sink issue.
Go buy and install a replacementstock style mini starter from a late 80s thru mid 90s Chevy 5.7L 1500 pickup.
Was good enough to crank over my 540 with 11.0 CR...for years.
Cost around $75 depending on how well ya know your favorite auto parts counter person.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Have you checked your cranking volts? Agree it sounds like the starter is getting heat soaked. If you buy a new one make sure it has a warranty!

This happened to my GM Performance mini starter yesterday

Old 11-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Could be the battery, could be the starter, could be battery cable connections. It takes more amps to turn over a hot engine. Heat soak on the starter is common but I have a stock starter, no heat shield and headers, never had a problem. If the starter is going then yes, heat soak could cause the problem.

A weak battery is another possibility. Like I said, it takes more amps to start an engine that is hot and just shut down a few minutes before. Do you have a known good battery you swap into it?

If any the battery connections, ground cable connection to block or positive cable to starter are corroded they should be cleaned up.

I would start with the basics before replacing the starter. Go to an auto parts store, they can test the battery and the amp draw of the starter. That should tell you if it's the battery or the starter.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Bowtie Member

I have been the same route and my problem did end up being heat soak from the headers. I did replace the starter and install a heat shield before my problem was corrected. But I would try like Hank said and go to the auto parts store first. Good luck.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 11-20-2012, 11:39 AM

I appreciate the suggestions. Yes the car has headers, starter is not stock. Battery, that is the first thing I want to check is age. When I bought the car I recall the seller said it was probably due to be replaced. My concern with heat soak, it's never did it over the summer when it was in hotter weather. However, I did drive it about 5-8 miles at highway speeds, just before getting gas. Not sure if that makes much difference with heat transfer from the headers, low speeds to shut down vs highway speeds to shut down. As I said, engine was at normal temp (about 165/170).

I agree-last think I will do is replace the starter. Need to check the basics first.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM

So have you found out what might be your problem?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Bowtie Member

John your story sounds SO familiar. I used to hate to stop for gas. And I made sure that when I did stop that I had time to let the car sit and cool. I even broke down and bought a portable fan that I would use to circulate the air under the hood when I stopped. I am so glad those days are over. I hope you solve your problem soon.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 11-23-2012, 09:13 AM

I took a brief look at it yesterday but with family in town I had little time to slip away for a full diagnosis. But what I did find may very well be the issue. Two things, for one, the battery is 93 months old (it's a 2005). The voltage is fine at 12.5 volts but I suspect with the age, it's load ability is far from fresh. Second, the positive lead on the starter is rusted. So, the plan is replace the old battery and clean up the connections on the starter and see how that goes. It may indeed resolve the issue. Thanks for your input.