ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Electrical

Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM

The last pic is the rotor taken off on the inside of the distributor
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM

The last pic is the rotor taken off on the inside of the distributor and these are all my projects.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 PM

The distributor should not have much play to it. If you crank the engine over with the cap off the points should open and close and you should see a spark if it some what dark under the hood. If you don't then you points are not getting any power to them. A wore distributor will cause problems, but should not keep it from running.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Yea I think we're gonna put points in it then set the dwell and gap cause ik it isn't easy putting a new one in it. I have a brand new MSD ignition distributor but ik it's pretty hard putting on in specialy in a chevelle since the front ends so long. Thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM

By the way shadow the gray on your SS looks sweet.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM

Oh I noticed ms grumpy your north of Detroit. Well for ur information the last place this car was, was the Woodward dream cruise. I'm sure you know that event it's HUGE.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM

She knows it very well and has been trying to get me to come up there to the show ,just not been able to do it yet .GM ALL THE WAY ,you should really try to come to the Northern Ohio Chevelle Show later this year inStrongville ,you would have the opportunity to meet the Grumpy's ,Shadowgray(Ray) ,as well as my wife and I among many other colorful people .But you really dont want to miss the awards banquet as it really gets fun in there .

John
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM

Ok so I was just barely turning my motor over trying to open the point. I opened the point with my finger and it arced so I grabbed a flathead and opened it and it arced again so does this mean I am getting spark. I also noticed in my gm book looking at my distributor I don't think my wires are in the right holes. If you know what I mean each wire is in the wrong hole so I'm getting spark but its sending it to the wrong cylinders at the wrong time. But I don't know how they would be on the wrong holes if it ran before.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 PM

That great.
The firing order is 18436572 is the order, and it goes the same way the rotor spins when the engine is turning over, but finding the place to start can be a problem. Do this: Remove the drivers side spark plug that is closest to the front of the engine (cylinder No. 1). Remove the power (+) battery connector that goes to the cap. Have a friend help you, and have them turn the engine with the starter in short quick bursts, that will turn the engine over a tiny bit at a time. Place your thumb/finger over the spark plug hole tightly. As they turn the engine, you will reach a point to where the pressure will blow your finger off the hole, so stop there. Check the timing mark on the crank pulley and it should be near the timing mark so you know that you are on the compression strock for cylinder 1 (which is reffered to as top dead center) Now, remove the distributor cap to see where the rotor is pointing. The plug wire the rotor is pointing to, or closest to, will be your starting point. Replace the cap, plug the (+) wire back into the cap, and install the wire (#1) into the cap that goes to the plug you just used. Replace the spark plug. Work your way in the direction the clock runs around the cap with the rest of the wires. From front to back on the drivers side will be 1,3,5,7, and on the passenger side from front to back will be 2,4,6,8. This should get you going to make sure all the wires are in there correct position. You did mention you replaced the distrubtor cap, so hopefully you got the wires back in the correct place.

Thank you for your complement on my car.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 PM

I plan on doing that tomaro. So I need to set my distributor on my truck it's a 95 and electric so would I just set the motor to tdc and set my rotor to were cyl 1 is firing and slide it down in. Is that the procedure. I have a how to build a gm 350 but that's for HEI and this is electric, and i don't know all the terms. If this is the case to I need to turn my oil pump shaft or whatever it is the distributor sits on down there and notches into. Sorry I got so many questions for so many projects. I hope you don't mind I'm not talkin chevelle just gm 350.
Thanks is your grey custom or stock. My moms used to be silver but the guy before us repainted it silver puter metallic. Really sparkly in the sun and unique color. Thanks