ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Electrical

Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 PM

Default Mini Hi-Torque Starter Issue

Decided to change out to different starter because the original didn't seem up to par when I tried to start it last week. I must have something wrong because when I hooked the battery up it tried to turn over. Here is the diagram for the starter:

Here's the wiring diagram from AAW:

I tried hooking up the positive wire from the battery, the ignition wire and the wire from the alternator all up to the upper terminal on the solenoid. I hooked up the purple ignition wire to the spade terminal.

I'm guessing that I should just move the ignition and alternator wires down to the lower terminal but can't find anything online about it. Can someone help?
Old 05-14-2016, 05:46 AM

I also have a mini starter with the AAW kit. I have the battery and all hooked up to what would be your upper termminal and the purple to the spade terminal. I don't have aux coil wire on mine.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jays 1971 View Post
I also have a mini starter with the AAW kit. I have the battery and all hooked up to what would be your upper termminal and the purple to the spade terminal. I don't have aux coil wire on mine.

Supposed to say alt wire not all. Sorry

Old 05-14-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulywood View Post
Decided to change out to different starter because the original didn't seem up to par when I tried to start it last week. I must have something wrong because when I hooked the battery up it tried to turn over. Here is the diagram for the starter:

Here's the wiring diagram from AAW:

I tried hooking up the positive wire from the battery, the ignition wire and the wire from the alternator all up to the upper terminal on the solenoid. I hooked up the purple ignition wire to the spade terminal.

I'm guessing that I should just move the ignition and alternator wires down to the lower terminal but can't find anything online about it. Can someone help?
You said ignition wire is connected to upper terminal and purple ignition wire to spade terminal. What other ignition wire are you talking about? Purple should come ignition switch and go to spade terminal. Do you have an ignition coil or an HEI distributor? Alt and battery wire should stay on top terminal and nothing else. Power to coil or HEI distributor should be a separate wire from bulkhead connector, looks to be pink according to diagram.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 05-14-2016, 07:42 AM

Sorry Hank, the red wire from the bulk head that runs on the right sure of the AAW diagram to connector N and then to the alternator. I have HEI ignition and have the pink wire running to the coil on the distributor.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jays 1971 View Post

So you're saying the red wire from the bulkhead connector is an auxillary coil wire? They don't explain exactly what it is in the diagram so I wasn't sure. For now I'll just unhook that wire and try starting it again.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:01 AM

I'm actually wondering if I have the wires reversed on the ignition. I'll look at that, too.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulywood View Post
So you're saying the red wire from the bulkhead connector is an auxillary coil wire? They don't explain exactly what it is in the diagram so I wasn't sure. For now I'll just unhook that wire and try starting it again.
The 2 red wires with the fusible link would be on the top terminal. My purple wire goes to the S terminal on my starter. Sorry for the poorly written explanation, just got home from a night shift.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:55 PM

Wiring on a 71 is different than a 70, so I'm trying to understand how the 71 is supposed to be. I would guess the red wire, connector N, feeds battery power to interior and ignition switch. Purple wire should come back from ignition switch through neutral safety switch to starter. It powers the solenoid to crank the starter. Red wire to alt charges the battery when engine is running. Don't see battery cable in diagram but you said it's on top terminal.

I think I understand what you're saying now and honestly sounds like it was wired up correctly. Alt, power to fuse block (red wire) and battery to top lug on starter. Purple wire to spade terminal. Pink wire to coil on distributor. You don't need the yellow wire or ballast resistor since you have an HEI distributor. Don't see anything wrong. Leave the purple wire off and connect battery. If it starts cranking then there's something wrong with the starter. Shouldn't crank until you feed 12v to the spade lug, purple wire.

If it doesn't start cranking then check voltage on purple wire, it must have 12v but it shouldn't. Not until you turn the key to start. Hope you have a meter, you really need one. Under $10 at Harbor Freight.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 05-14-2016, 04:55 PM

I have a meter but I'll admit I'm no electrical wizard. I need to check which wire's go where on the ignition switch and neutral safety switch under the dash to make sure they are hooked up correctly. I'm just confused why I didn't have any issues with the old starter. Maybe it's wired differently?