ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Performance > Chevelle Pro-Touring

Old 05-31-2016, 04:14 PM

Default Headers Are Worthless On Street Engines

We Europeans have always known steel tubing exhaust manifolds (aka "headers") are worthless when used on street engines unless they are run OPEN ("uncorked"). And as you can't run OPEN headers on the street they are nothing but worthless ornaments with a fancy name and an even fancier price.

You gullible Americans have been convinced headers actually "produce" power when in fact they don't produce anything. Power is produced inside the cylinders and once the hot exhaust gasses get blown out of the cylinders the power "event" is over.

When "headers" were first used in the early 1960's their collectors had 4" diameter cover plates attached so they could be opened "uncorked" so the exhaust gasses could be blown to the open air. But sometime after the 1960's ignorant people began attaching their exhaust pipes directly to the ends of the collectors which made the headers worthless other than looking racy.

Headers are intended to be run OPEN to bypass the restrictions of the exhaust pipes, mufflers, and tail pipes. But as street engines require mufflers what good are the headers when they have to be run corked?

So why do you goofy Americans love your headers so much?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:24 PM

Im sure Im in the minority but I hate headers ,they leak ,make it hard to change plugs ,and you normally have to ding them to fit.I only have one truck that still has headers and it came with them when I bought it .

John
Old 05-31-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Power View Post

You gullible Americans have been convinced headers actually "produce" power when in fact they don't produce anything. Power is produced inside the cylinders and once the hot exhaust gasses get blown out of the cylinders the power "event" is over.
True but if the gasses can't be scavenged out effectively. The cylinder is not empty. You can't fill it if it isn't empty. So the cylinder can't produce peak power if it isn't a complete fresh charge of gas and air. Burnt gasses do not magically reburn.

May want to check a few dyno test out of stock exhaust and then changed to headers with matched exhaust systems. Before getting rude.

There is another chevelle site Team Azzhole go there and start things. Here we like to get along.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:28 PM

Headers definitely reduce back pressure on the engine. The headers cool the exhaust gases faster than stock manifolds so they condense quicker and create less back pressure. If you think back pressure is a good thing then stuff some raw potatoes up your tail pipes and go for it.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Im sure Im in the minority but I hate headers ,they leak ,make it hard to change plugs ,and you normally have to ding them to fit.I only have one truck that still has headers and it came with them when I bought it .
Only leaks I've had are from stock manifolds on a 454 in our old motor home. They heated up so much they cracked the manifolds and busted the bolts. After installing a set of headers, no more leaks and a definite increase in power. Just my experience John and I do run headers on the Chevelle.

My Chevelle
Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 PM

Great first post.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 AM

Goofy troll
Old 06-01-2016, 03:46 PM

I guess headers don't help a lot on the 3 cylinder engines developing 87 HP they drive in Europe.

Think we may know a little more about American Muscle than him.

My Chevelle
Old 06-01-2016, 03:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

Typical euro rudeness, trust me I deal with it daily.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:10 PM

Perhaps the guy banged his head under the bonnet of his hillman imp estate.
Those pesky big end knocks from the 65Hp monster. maybe adjusting the 1 bbl carb will help.
POME subjects like this fine gent give us true red white and blue brits a bad rep.

Funny thing is....i got a 500 hp chevelle. lol lol.