ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Performance > Chevelle Pro-Touring

Old 06-01-2016, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Hey Hank, your a Moderator here.........block that rude ass douchbag.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:14 AM

Maybe my problem with headers was that whoever owned the cars and trucks before me put cheap ones on ,they all leaked no matter what I tried .My truck that used to be Chuck Hansons has good headers on it as it does not leak and it runs like a champ .It would be real easy to get in trouble with that bad boy.

John
Old 06-02-2016, 06:10 PM

Ken, I can't block anyone. I can delete posts but only in certain forums. There are different moderators for different forums. Mr and Mrs Grumpy and the admin can block people, ban, or moderate any forum.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 06-02-2016, 06:17 PM

I'm sure the quality of the headers has a lot to do with it. Current set on the Chevelle were installed on a 396 and now on a 454. No leaks on either and I didn't have to ding them to get them in. On the motor home I installed Doug Thorley's. Very good quality headers, better than the ones I put on the Chevelle. Now I need to order a set for the new motor home, when I get the money and the time to install them.

My Chevelle
Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

You damn Americans and your headers....they do nothing let me repeat they do nothing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	712
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	3901
Old 06-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank70SS View Post
Headers definitely reduce back pressure on the engine. The headers cool the exhaust gases faster than stock manifolds so they condense quicker and create less back pressure. If you think back pressure is a good thing then stuff some raw potatoes up your tail pipes and go for it.

Please explain to me how headers reduce back pressure when the cause of the back pressure (the restrictive exhaust pipes, mufflers, and tail pipes) is still there? Headers are only effective when they are run open or did you Americans forget that little detail? And then headers are only effective when the engine is being run at full power and high rpm; something street engines rarely (if ever) do.

Steel tubing exhaust manifolds do have their place in off road track racing events where mufflers aren't required but when used on street legal vehicles they offer no benefit at all. Just ornaments with a cool name and hefty price tag.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Power View Post
Please explain to me how headers reduce back pressure when the cause of the back pressure (the restrictive exhaust pipes, mufflers, and tail pipes) is still there? Headers are only effective when they are run open or did you Americans forget that little detail? And then headers are only effective when the engine is being run at full power and high rpm; something street engines rarely (if ever) do.

Steel tubing exhaust manifolds do have their place in off road track racing events where mufflers aren't required but when used on street legal vehicles they offer no benefit at all. Just ornaments with a cool name and hefty price tag.
Same car same exhaust just headers added. Looks like across the board power increase to me.

Don't know about where you live but things do get run wide open here alot.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Power View Post

Pretty simple physics. The extremely hot exhaust gases leaving the cylinder create a lot of pressure in the manifolds or headers. As they cool and they cool down much faster in headers than in most stock manifolds, the pressure is reduced. Again, pretty simple, headers have much more exposed surface area to to cool the exhaust gases. Blow up a balloon with very hot air then cool it down to freezing and watch the balloon collapse.

Headers cool the exhaust gases faster, once they're cooled down they require less volume and the rest of the exhaust can handle it. Remember that everything that leaves the exhaust had to come in through the carburetor, which is as at ambient temperature. Know look at the ventures in your carburetor and compare the volume to that of the exhaust system. Simple, the sooner you cool the exhaust gases the easier it is for the rest of the exhaust system to handle it.

If you don't believe, fine. There are plenty of dyno runs available to prove it.

My Chevelle
Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Bowtie Member

The posts of English Power in this thread were brought to my attention as being rude and belittling. It is the policy of grumpy and I to enforce a "suspension" before perminently banning someone.

He has been banned for 30 days and if he starts up again then he is gone.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 07-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Default Corked Headers Are Worthless On Sreet Engines

Corked headers are about as effective as a plugged air filter. Everyone knows a plugged air filter will kill power so why do they think corked headers don't kill power? It's a no brainier.