ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 11-03-2013, 04:52 PM

Default 1964 Chevelle SS headliner issue.

Hey gang, I'm in the process of installing a headliner into my chevelle and I have run into a problem that I can't figure out.

My car was missing the bows so I have nothing to reference. I purchased a set of bows for my car and they seem to be correct, but only fit into place on the drivers side. My passenger side does not have the 3 holes to snap the bow into like the driver side does. The passenger side has only 2 holes and they are a bit higher up and smaller. Am I missing something on the passenger side? I can't figure out how it ever worked.

Here are some pics for reference. Thanks so much for any help.

Driver side has these holes in 4 of the bow locations which work well, but tiny holes in the front location which will be an issue as well.

Passenger side has these holes which do not work for me at all.

Maybe I'm missing a plate or something that bolts to those smaller holes and has a big hole for the bow? I'm lost!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM

Wish I had an answer for you. I replaced the headliner in my 70 about 4 years ago. As I recall I had the 3 holes on both sides. It was just a matter of finding the right ones to use to get the right amount of tension.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 PM

I think there was some sort of retainer on one end at some point in time. Everything I've seen has the 3 holes on both ends so this is baffling. I ended up taking measurements and drilling all new holes on the passenger side to match the drivers side and everything seems to be working perfectly.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Bowtie Member

Must have been fun trying to install that around the roll bars.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org