ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Suspension & Chassis

Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 PM

Default Heating springs to lower car?

My '68 Malibu sits about 2" higher than factory original and I want to lower it. When I was a kid, coil sprung cars could be lowered by torching the springs to get the collapse desired, and allowed to sit overnight to anneal without becoming brittle.
Is this an acceptable practice, or has it been shown to be dangerous or unsuccessful in the long run? I know that new springs aren't that expensive, but I'm thinking of labor involved. Am I just getting lazy in my waning years?
Thanks for your advice,
Rich
Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 PM

That definitely old school trick. I'm for changing the springs to the correct ones. When it comes to safety for me that is the only way to go. Some cut a coil to lower 2" down, I had to change my springs 2 times to get my car to sit down correctly. You are correct it is a pain.

Last edited by shadowgray396; 01-14-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Letting heated cherry red springs sit overnight does NOT anneal them at all. If you go this route you'll end up with a very stiff ride up front and possible complications trying to get the front end aligned.

Ken
Retired Toolmaker
Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I will plan a conversion to coil-overs and adjust to the height I like (or my wife likes).
Rich
Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 AM

My old 72 Chevy truck had been dropped by heating the coils by the previous owner and it rode terrible .The first thing I did was put new stock springs under it ,I would never heat coils to lower one.

John
Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM

Best bet the coil overs also most lower tubular a-arms will give you drop also best bet call a company that deals in suspension. Call UMI ask for Ramey he will help you out. As long as your honest with what you want you with your vendor they will lead you in the right direction. I personally like the idea of adjustable coil overs. I plan to convert to full coil overs up front

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk