ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk

Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 PM

Default Advice Again

I originally was going to do a ground up build on my 67 Chevelle so I started cutting the floor out & have them fully out all the way to the back seat. Later on I decided to do a frame off but I hadn't put the floors back in yet & I'm going to need a full trunk pan. I'm no pro & this is my 1st build so b4 I lift the body, should I put the floors back in or can i just lift the body? Will it flex or bend & should I tack weld braces ????
Old 04-21-2012, 10:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun

do you have the frame rails/floor braces in place?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 PM

I always do all my sheet metal work with the car on the frame. Then I pull the body off. It's always a good idea to put new body mounts on before you start your sheet metal work so when you go to put the body back on it should all line up again. The problem with doing the sheet metal work with the body off the frame is the body can twist and bend and if you weld it up that way you will have nightmare trying to line panels back up.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:57 PM

Yes Shaun the floor braces are still in place & Ray that's what I was going to attemp to do with the body mounts but as I crawled around under the car, I noticed that all the bolts from the body were already removed except the 2 in the rear where the frame rails meet the trunk.from the looks of it the guy I bought it from attempted to pull the frame @ some point & he broke the bolt so they just spin.since the floors are out I may as well do the interior pan repairs with the frame on but I'm gonna have to figure out the body mount alignment issue also. This project list multiplies by 4 weekly it seem like.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:03 AM

You are in luck if it need a full trunk pan. He spun the cage nut loose under the trunk pan that's why it is spinning. I had to cut a section out of my trunk pan to get to one of mine and then repair it since I didn't need a trunk pan. You are correct about multiplying 4 times. Expect to make a step forward and then 2 steps back for a while. Hang in there it will come together. Post some pictures of your progress it helps to keep you motivated and we like seeing them.

Ray
Old 04-22-2012, 12:08 PM

Thanks Ray for the motivating words cuz as I'm sure you can tell & been there it gets very frustrating @ times. I'm not a big pc guy so I'm still working on setting up photo bucket. Along with the trunk he packed aluminum foil with bondo & I'm sure the trunk drop off will need repair also along with the rear fender wells,the back side of the tail light panel,window Chanel which I'm scared to attempt so I'll probably have the body guy do that.