ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintTony View Post
Well, thanks for the inspection offer, but I'm married to "The Inspector". I hope that I don't go through the shit Doug did with dry wallers and painters. He fired three different crews of each. Come on by for the beer though!
It's hard to find good and reliable trades here. When I worked for a home builder, I went through my fair share of drywall contractors. Never had an issue finding a good painter... the issue was trying to find one that wasn't an alcoholic that drank on the job. Nothing like having a home owner show up and find beer cans/bottles strewn about... then I got the hysterical phone call after hours. (No wonder I drank so much back then)
Old 08-09-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoor View Post
It's hard to find good and reliable trades here. When I worked for a home builder, I went through my fair share of drywall contractors. Never had an issue finding a good painter... the issue was trying to find one that wasn't an alcoholic that drank on the job. Nothing like having a home owner show up and find beer cans/bottles strewn about... then I got the hysterical phone call after hours. (No wonder I drank so much back then)
Man, you aren't kidding there! To even get some of them to return a phone call is rare. I just don't get it. I thought most guys were actually wanting to work. I thought wrong. I have asked they guys that have done work for me down there for recommendations. Not a single one that has been recommended has worked out. Even the ones the County Inspector has told me were pretty decent haven't been reliable. I'm seriously considering doing the drywall and paint myself. I can do it, just aint crazy about it.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:04 AM

We had a drywall guy install a 1/4" layer on the ceiling in the family room. After he left and I got some light in there I said "What the Hell!". Some nail holes not filled in, some not sanded down. I could see the seam from one end to the other.

I had the whole room sealed off with plastic drop cloth so we didn't get drywall dust through the whole house. I asked him if he wanted a work light, he said he didn't need it. Now I know why he didn't want the light. Lynda said call him and make him fix it. I told her I didn't want the a-hole back in my house. He spent the whole time complaining that he was getting too old to do that kind of work. So I spent I few days patching and sanding to make it right.

Contractors, try to find a good one in northern MI. The fish are biting so they don't show up. It's deer season so they disappear. They work when they need beer money then take off until the money runs out.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 08-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Here at work we have been moving heavy furniture up and down stairs all week in the dorms trying to get ready for our new darlings and our backs are about shot .Im 51 ,almost 52 years old and Im the youngest employee in the maintenance dept other than our boss who does not do furniture .Im pretty sore by now and cant wait til 4 PM to go home and collapse.

John
Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 AM

I just turned 62 Flash and I'm not moving anymore heavy stuff. Henry has some friends lined up to help him move his bed, oak dresser and an oak roll top computer desk we don't anymore, along with misc. other stuff. I already helped move his rolling tool cart and bunch of other crap. I partially tore a bicep tendon a few years when I fell. Last year I finished the job and tore it the rest of the way. It hurts when I lift heavy stuff with that arm. Maybe because the muscle gets all twisted out of shape with only one bicep tendon. Anyway, I'll let the young guys do the heavy lifting.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle