ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk

Old 08-23-2015, 04:08 PM

Default Wheel Well Trim/ Rocker Trim ?

Haven't been on here much lately but will be bringing my '71 Chevelle home from paint/body hopefully this week. Went with original code 26 Mulsanne Blue and white rally stripes, base coat-clear coat. New carpet from ACC, nice original door panels. Looks great, big improvement over the original 40 year old acrylic lacquer and worn interior. Had all the stainless worked for dent removal and polished. Very satisfied there, trouble is with the wheel well trim and the lower rocker moldings under the doors. Being aluminum, not stainless, they are anodized and don't polish up well. Can't bring myself to re-install them after seeing how well the paint came out.

Question: Who sells quality wheel well and rocker moldings that actually fit and look original? Looking for real world experience and feedback. Original fit and quality more important than $$ but that is also a consideration. (Isn't it always, tho, LOL!)
Old 08-23-2015, 04:39 PM

I used after market wheel moldings on my car and was happy the way they looked. But I made sure before I painted the car that they fit correctly, once its painted it's to late? The rocker moldings I would have left off, but thats me. I had rocker moldings and used a good aluminum polish and got mine to polish up. I started with 400 wet and dry sand paper and then to 600 and then 1000 before I polished on them.

Last edited by shadowgray396; 08-23-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:17 PM

shadowgray396, who did you get your wheel well moldings from? Understand about would have been best to fit and mount prior to paint but think will be fine if use blue painter's tape for protection after the fact. Have done a bit of research and seems a lot of vendors as usual " say " theirs is an OEM fit.

As for the rocker moldings, I realize not offered on a true SS but since mine is more of a (gasp) clone I really like the look of them. Not planning to sell the car at any time so SS originality is not an issue to me. It will go to my son at some point (I hope, LOL!) in the far future.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM

I got my wheel well mouldings from NPD and they fit good .My rocker mouldings I cant remember where they came from but they are very thin and bend very easy.

John
Old 08-23-2015, 06:40 PM

Original rocker moldings can be replated, chromed or what every you want to do to them.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:40 PM

Who restores rocker mouldings ,I still have my original ones .

John
Old 08-24-2015, 02:40 PM

I got mine from a local vendor at the time. Most venors all sell the same ones.

Rocker molding restore is a good question flash. Some chrome shops will do them, we happen to have a guy in our area who is retired and works on them and other things ( or use too) . One would have to ckeck around in your area and see if someone is out there that would do them.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:14 AM

I would be interested in knowing who restores rocker moldings also. I was told that because they are aluminum they can't be chrome plated? Any one ever have their rocker moldings chrome plated and can have some feedback on that?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:32 PM

Not true, aluminum can be chromed. I have seen cars at shows where the trim is chromed that was aluminum. Could even do a natural look powder coat on them maybe.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:35 PM

I know aluminum wheels can be chromed .

John