ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Wheels & Tires

Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM

Default In need of parts

My name is nick
I am new to the forum and am need of help. I have a 1970 chevelle and purchased a pro-touring kit complete. I am looking to achieve the staggered and raked look with the pro touring capabilities . I need help with tire and wheel size desperately . I have a 20x10 rear rim and an 18x9 front . What tire size do u recomend and will I have to roll my rear fender, also is that too much of a difference in size from front to rear? Please help,, thx
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 PM

Welcome Nick, may want to ask your question in the wheels and tire forum.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Bowtie Member

I moved this post for you Nick. Hope it helps.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Location: Currently change between two locations, OKC and Harelton Texas

You need to measure how much room you have. Mount the rims and check to see if they stick outside the fender or rub anything. The back is pretty easy, the front, you need to checked centered as well as all the way to stops left and right.

Now, like your rear rims, you need to convert inches to millimeters (mm). Tire sizes today are as an example 225/55 R 16. What this means is the tire (at thread) is 225 mm wide, the sidewall is 55% of the 225 mm, the R means it's a radial tire and 16 is the rim size.

Your rim width, rear, is 10 inches. That is 254 mm, so a 254/ tire would be the same width as the rim. If the rim edge is still inside the fender well, then a 254 or smaller tire should also stay in the fender well. tirerack.com will let you browse tires by size and tell you what size rim you need. For front, you need tires that will mount on a 9 inch rim and rear, ones that mount on 10 inch.

Now, for vertical clearance. http://researchmaniacs.com/Calculate/TireDiameter.html will let you calculate the diameter of the tire you are looking at. The radius is half the diameter. Now, you need to know how far it is from the center of the spindle/axle when your shocks are at full compression, to anything it might come in contact with, like the fender well. If that distance is smaller than the radius of the tires you are looking at, well, you will risk rubbing.

Basically for pro-touring, you want as much rubber as you can fit in. There are a lot of ways to control the "rake" look. Tires are just one of the, you already have some off set with the two different rim sizes, but if you put the same basic tire size on each, you get that offset. (example, 255s front and rear), other wise use the calculator above to check and decide the difference between front and rear for each tire size you look at.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Summit Racing has a nice tool to help you out> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-01201

These revolutionary new tools allow you to get a perfect fit the first time and every time when selecting new wheels and tires. Percy's WheelRites eliminate returns and delays due to an improperly specified wheel. These tools bolt onto your vehicle's hub to precisely simulate bolt pattern, wheel diameter, wheel width, backspacing, and tire profile. The WheelRites allow you to simulate a number of different sized wheels and tires without the expense or hassle of having multiple sizes of wheels and tires on hand.

Designed for 4 or 5-lug wheel bolt patterns from 98-130 mm. Will accommodate wheels between 6 in. and 11 1/8 in. wide and tires between 15 in. and 30 in. Backspacing up to 10 1/2 in.