ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic > Cooking and Spirits

Old 03-28-2010, 01:38 PM

Default Outback

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by stalkingbear; 03-18-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 PM

A smoker will help with good ribs, but is not necessary. The two best ingredients for ribs are LOW (temp) and SLOW (time).

You could let them go in a moderate oven for 3-4 hours, then slap them up with sauce and put them on a hot gas grill that is smouldering some smoke chips, and turn out a VERY similar product to what might be served in some "restaurant", mate.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:50 PM

Thanks Mike. You really don't need anything extravagant for smoking, the best advice I can give there is that I've had better luck with the units that have a temp gauge on the lid, a separate fire box, and good dampers to control the fire. Those are the features you want to look for.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 AM

I'm sure Jake has some good recipes but here's one that works good for us and is easy.

Cut your ribs into 3-4 rib pieces. Cover them up with your favorite bbq sauce, we like Sweet Baby Ray's honey-garlic. Wrap them in aluminum foil and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours at least. We get them ready in the morning and leave them in the fridge better part of the day. Place them in the oven at low temp, 200-225 for a couple hours. Then throw them on the grill to brown them up a little, add a little more sauce if you like. Careful when grilling because they will fall off the bone.

You can make them just as good as any restaurant with very little work.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Hank's right. I've done it kind of like that a bunch of times. They're pretty good like that when you cover them with onions and apples, too. You need to spice the daylights out of them when you do that.

Hank, I use Sweet Baby Ray's too, it is some good sauce.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
...Hank, I use Sweet Baby Ray's too, it is some good sauce.
We use to use Diane's Honey Garlic sauce. Lynda's cousin would bring us some when she came to visit from Toronto. We even made a few trips to Windsor to buy it and a few other things you can't find here in the States, like pickled pork and pea-meal bacon. We haven't done that since we moved farther west, it's a long trip across the border and back. We found Sweet Baby Rays and it's pretty good.

My Chevelle
Old 03-30-2010, 05:35 PM

Go for the Big Green Egg. A friend has one and another friend owns a whole BBQ store, and that is what both recommend hands down. They both compete on pro BBQ teams, so they know their ribs as well.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Definitely not cheap, but it is tough to get results like they do without going to a professional bbq pit

This is my friends store: http://www.bbqspitsnspits.com/home.nxg

Jeff
2006 Cadillac CTS-V LS2 and a 6 speed

Last edited by piette; 03-30-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:01 PM

Try par boiling them in apple juice prior to putting them on the grill, then use whatever BBQ you like. I spice mine up with a creole mix for added zest (true cajuns will hate me for this but I use the store bought generic type). Just be careful not to over-do it as they will fall from the bone quite easily. Also, use natural charcoal if possible.

Good luck,
Durand
Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durand View Post
Try par boiling them in apple juice prior to putting them on the grill, then use whatever BBQ you like. I spice mine up with a creole mix for added zest (true cajuns will hate me for this but I use the store bought generic type). Just be careful not to over-do it as they will fall from the bone quite easily. Also, use natural charcoal if possible.

Good luck,
Durand
We use to par-boil them then we found the method I mentioned before. If you haven't tried it you need to, we won't ever par-boil them again. Of course everybody has different tastes.

My Chevelle
Old 04-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Bowtie Member

David and I have talked about getting a smoker, but we just don't have the room. I love to BBQ, all year long, my neighbors must think that I am nuts cause I do it all winter long too

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org