ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Interiors

Old 10-30-2015, 02:06 PM

We have success. Radio plays with the face off and everything works remote and all. So I done with it for the day. All that tiny tiny soldering wore me out. It is a plug in on each end extension.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-21-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:07 PM

I put in 16 hrs today on that silly stereo. Here is a view of the ugly side. Looks perfect on the installed side. The big square hanging by the wires plugs in the head unit just like the face plate used to. I got the new filler panels made and all custom work is finished. Next mount the head unit under there. I going to order the speakers tomorrow. Speaker wire I will get at wal mart.

It still works I tried it right after it dried. I was holding it to dry in the pic and thought snap a shot while I am bored here.

I can't wait to do something simple next like brakes. Take a break on the doing something that hasn't been done for a while.

But to me it looks so sweet in there like it was meant to be,

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-21-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:35 AM

Got it in. First pic is the bracket i made to mount the head unit. Then rest is fairly self explanatory. I am so glad that nightmare is over. Speakers should be here tomorrow.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-21-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to RBeckman

So let me get this straight, you took a head unit and wired it to the main unit and made a nice mounting system for the head unit and main unit? I like the way it looks.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBeckman View Post
So let me get this straight, you took a head unit and wired it to the main unit and made a nice mounting system for the head unit and main unit? I like the way it looks.
Thank you.

Yes I bought the plugs for the head unit and faceplate. Soldered wires between them. Made the plastic plate that snaps on the head unit. Attached one plug to it. For ease of installation and future repairs work needed. At least it is serviceable.

Face plate side I attached nuts to the face plate with JB Weld. Attached the plug permanent but on a stand which could be cut and replaced if service was needed also. Plug itself is unaffected.

In the dash I made 2 mounting brackets from alloy angle stock. They bolt together around the main dash brace. So it was not altered. You can see the filler plates I made for the knob holes in the pic with the wires hanging through the dash. I used the outer head unit plastic look nice square. Cut it to fit and attached to the faceplate. To give the finished look like it belonged and was made for it illusion.

Kenwood was the only place that sold parts for doing the extention wire. Face connectors is what they are called. PacParts sells them. Kudos to Kenwoods tech dept for knowing about their stereos and willingness to help.

I have had many many chevelles. And it was a life long thing to have a good stereo that look right and fit. Because nothing does as any chevelle owner is painfully aware of. I been messing with this for 6 months and this is the second stereo I tried it with.

It is very time consuming and alot of hand made stuff. But well worth the effort for future people thinking of doing it.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:20 PM

I still messing with it. I got the rear speaker wires in put them in the factory plastic square wire loom that runs from the trunk to the clutch pedal basically.

Rest of the day I was debating on where to put the front speakers so they didn't look terrible yet were where they sounded good. The brace underneath the dash seems to be where everything is attaching to. Again I made a metal bracket and attached it underneath so I am not modifying the dash in any way.

Got the constant power that I installed when I did the wiring last winter for just such emergencies. Got the keyed power and ground done. I dug in my wiring harness tub and found a plug that matched the factory radio plug so i didn't have to cut it either.

I got the bass and mid in the rear, tweeters type in the front. Doing the best I can with what the car gave me to work with. Make it work with out changing the interior or looking bad.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-21-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:58 PM

On a 68,There is an open space under the kick panel that will hold a 5.25 round speaker. Its where the lower door hinge mounts. I made a custom bracket. It works well and doesnt require any mods to the dash,kick panels, or door.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcm1a View Post
On a 68,There is an open space under the kick panel that will hold a 5.25 round speaker. Its where the lower door hinge mounts. I made a custom bracket. It works well and doesnt require any mods to the dash,kick panels, or door.
Thank you. I will pull the old kick panel out and look into that.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:45 AM

Since this wasnt a factory install and the speakers were on top of the package tray mount. I went and bought a peice of hard board and cut it. I got you guessed it Marine Vynal with the same basic pattern as the factory package tray pattern in it.

Well I got it all installed. Broke down and bought a battery and a trickle charger. It is obvious I going to play with everything all the time. Chevelle is the new garage stereo LOL. I set the dash clock adjusted everything. Bluetooth works I called wifey from the chevelle.

I am floored with the sound as is. More volume and bass than I care to ever use. This adventure is officially over.

Now I got to do my real work a while and stop slacking so I can buy more crap for the chev LOL.

Last edited by chevymaher; 07-21-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Well the summer has come and gone. It is getting to cold for the boat. Here is me and the boy a couple weeks ago on the ohio. I think it is time to winterize it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVroEGRKDKg

Well yesterday I built shelves so I could get all the boat and camping stuff out of the chevelle. It has been a storage closet for a while now. So I can get back to work on it.

I took the hood hinges off today and ordered new ones.

I got a catalog on the way and i been on the horn with the sales guy. I be making a interior order in a week or so. It will be a monster one. I will have the interior in by boat weather.

So the chevelle is getting moved from the back burner to the front.

I am making arraignments to meet with a guy for machine work. The 454 will be a 496 and i decided on the brodix square port race ready heads. LOL hell this old POS may move under its own power here shortly. A year is my hope and guess.