ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Bowtie Member

Default I like football, but this is a trip.

I like football, and I have seen some dirty shots. But this trip takes the cake. This is something you would see a High School player do, not the coach of a professional Football team. What do you think ?

"There are few dirtier, cheaper shots you will ever see in an NFL game. And this particular disgrace was caught on television, much to the dismay of the quickly unraveling New York Jets.

As if the Jets didn’t have enough drama to deal with on the field, 33-year-old strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi added to the mayhem. Standing on the sideline during a punt return by the Jets, Alosi subtly stuck his knee out and tripped Miami Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll(notes), who was running down the sidelines as an outside coverage man. The maneuver sent Carroll, who was in full stride, tumbling to the ground, and left him shaken up before being attended to by trainers.

It’s not exactly player-on-player spitting, or some of the gruesome antics that take place underneath a pile of players on the field. But it might be worse, because the coverage players running down opposing sidelines are defenseless against anything that might be coming at them outside the field of play. Carroll couldn’t protect himself from Alosi’s trip, because there was no way to expect it. Why? Because any NFL player with an ounce of class will tell you, that’s too dangerous and too dirty.

As CBS analyst Dan Fouts said when a replay showed Alosi subtly sticking his knee out, “This is just uncalled for in the NFL. … Not sure who that person is, but they should be ashamed of themselves for that type of action. That has no place in any athletic event.”
Mark Sanchez's QB rating hasn't been above 50 in the past two losses.
(Nick Laham/Getty Images)

And he’s absolutely right. That’s what makes Alosi, a nine-year strength coach in the NFL, this week’s biggest loser, because there is a difference between seeking an edge and pushing the boundaries of rules, and simply being malicious. The Dolphins were up in arms over it after Sunday’s 10-6 win at the Meadowlands, which suddenly has the Jets looking far more vulnerable after back-to-back offensive implosions against the Patriots and Miami.

Certainly, Alosi’s punishment – and there is bound to be one from the NFL – will be a topic of conversation in the coming week, particularly with the Jets reportedly playing dumb about the whole event in the postgame locker room, and Alosi being swept away from reporters by team security before he could be asked about the incident – though he did later apologize.

It’s another plunge in what has been a precipitous fall for a team that was looking like a Super Bowl favorite only two weeks ago. First came the 45-3 road shellacking by the Patriots, and then the loss to the Dolphins – a combined two-game skid that saw quarterback Mark Sanchez(notes) complete only 34 of 77 passes with zero touchdowns and four interceptions. An awful run that even had Jets icon Joe Namath taking some mini jabs on his Twitter account.

Namath remarked the “offense continued to be inept” against Miami, and said of next week’s game against the Steelers, “Hard to be optimistic.” He also took a little dig at Sanchez at one point, saying “Mark is beginning to scare me.”

I hardly take most of what Namath says with a grain of salt. I suspect he has never been all that thrilled with the instant love and attention lavished on Sanchez, nor the fact that the franchise’s latest success means the fan base no longer orbits around the faded memories of Broadway Joe. But fans do listen when Namath talks. And revealing his eroding faith in Sanchez only serves to undercut the quarterback.

Combined with the losses, and the Patriots now hitting their stride, you could argue the Jets now find themselves at a pivot point in their season. Either they come out and right themselves against Pittsburgh next week, or they risk falling deeper into a malaise that is starting to have as much off-field drama as on it."
Taken off of the Yahoo news page.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 PM

The trip .... pretty trippy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-2oTR4Nq3A
Old 12-19-2010, 01:05 PM

Glad to see this disarray right before they take on my Steelers!