ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Engine & Trans

Old 05-31-2017, 07:11 AM

Default Foaming Issues with Brad Penn Oil..

For the last 4 years I've been having issues with Brad Penn oil foaming when the dip stick reads full.. I had to run it a quart low.. This is on two different motors.. The 454 would tick after pulling long hills if it wasn't a qt. low..

At the advice of a few local engine builders and 540rat, I switched to 5-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic.. What a difference!! My stock flat tappet 454 is quiet, the oil lamp doesn't stay on for a few seconds during cold start warm up and no lifter tick...

From what I've been lead to believe, cheap oils have wax in them that cause foaming..
Old 07-07-2017, 11:37 AM

I've had no issue's with Brad Penn 15-40 and been using it for years. Brad Penn has some of the highest levels of zinc around. I do not think Mobil 1 has the level of protection you need for a flat tappet
Old 07-07-2017, 08:25 PM

Sounds like you need a windage tray.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:16 AM

Default Foaming oil

I have two 70s. My one owner is a LS-5--M-22 and my driver is a 468 with a 700. I have been using Brad Penn in my 468 driver for over 37.000 miles with no issues. my 454 one owner has Brad Penn in it also.
I use ONLY Brad Penn in any flat tappet engine. Your engine has other issues if its foaming the oil. I would never run any oil in a flat tappet engine that does not have the correct amount of additives.
Bob
Old 09-24-2017, 09:47 PM

No, my motor does not have other issues. This oil did the same thing in my Pontiac 462.. I went back to 5-30 Mobil 1 and have thousands of trouble free miles using it.. No more lifter chatter with the dip stick at the full mark..

I'm back to listening to my local machine shop owner/builder and people who actually work in the different fields like I did for decades before the internet..