ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 04-23-2018, 03:27 AM

Default Everyone gone?

What the hell.?No posts from anyone lately. Why not?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 AM

Maybe busy? I know you've been busy, I have since we got back from FL. Current project is remodel family room. Finally found some new flooring we like and some tile to redo the hearth on the fireplace. We looked all over last year and couldn't find anything we cared for.

Old fireplace hearth was topped with a 2.25" thick piece of cement, 18" deep and 6.5' across sitting on a brick base. Nasty looking, no way to clean it short of bringing the pressure washer into the family room. Henry came over and we pried it loose from the mortar. I lifted one end and decided we weren't carrying it out in one piece. A 2 by under one end, a little sledge hammer work and we took it out in pieces.

Trash men were not happy with me, they threw the can in the ditch after they emptied it. I didn't even put a third of the old hearth in the can. Anyway, painting right now. Ceiling is done, working on walls, lot of trim work in that room. Next I'll build a new tile top for the fireplace hearth. Then rip up the old flooring and replace it. But it's supposed to be pretty nice out today. Need to pick up all the sticks in the yard and have a bonfire. Probably should fire up the Chevelle too.

I'll post some before and after pics later, assuming it all turns out good.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle

Last edited by Hank70SS; 04-23-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:08 AM

Two actual live people....wow.!
LOL LOL.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:02 PM

LOL I am here everyday.

I had another spot in a hood hinge go. I am just going to redo all of them. Wont be factory but They wont do it again.

I still foolin with this boat. Weather won't stay warm enough to get it done.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:27 AM

I got home from Florida Sunday morning. Left there Saturday morning at 7am. Had a decent drive, Atlanta traffic was a bitch again. Got stopped on I75 in Dayton Ohio for an hour due to a fatal crash. Ended up driving through the absolutely worst part of town taking an alternate route. Glad I had a couple of firearms ready to use if needed.

My well pump here in the shop froze up and busted the cast iron head. It's an old A.Y.McDonald, made in USA pump. No replacement head is available and a new one is around 400 bucks. Will look for something different. I built a Harley engine for a customer two years ago and it developed a very slight oil leak. I had to pull the heads off that yesterday to get the rocker boxes off. Spent the whole day working on that after I tore the pump apart. The new gaskets that they make today are just plain junk. Imagine that, a Harley that is almost 50 years has a small oil leak. I think I got it fixed. Used a set of old gaskets that I have had for decades. We shall see.

Weather isn't too bad here. Glad that I stayed a little longer down South. They had a record snow-fall here this year. A week ago there was an ice storm.

When did you come home Hank? It sounds like you have another major projecy going. Tell Henry the Nova has had a slight price reduction. I may have found 45 acres that I want more than the Nova.

Chevymaher, what is the hinge spot all about? Is the weather there colder than normal for this time of year?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:12 AM

Been fighting a few issues with my truck... found more damage from when the shop destroyed my driveshaft. Still isn't fixed, hoping to figure it out today. Add in that the weather hasn't been the best... LOTS of rain.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:25 PM

I dont come around as much as I used to but drop in occaisionally still.

John
Old 04-24-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintTony View Post

Chevymaher, what is the hinge spot all about? Is the weather there colder than normal for this time of year?
It is bizzare colder than normal here. Last year same time it was 80's. We had snow a week ago. It is decent now 50's and raining.

I got 2 heaters under the cockpit cover. Get it up to 80 degrees in there. The do some glassing and let it cure. It is slowing me down but i am kicking.

The silly hood hinges. One at a time the pivot deals. Huge pop rivet things. One at a time they are popping out. Second time chipped the paint. This is the third. I felt it and caught it in time.

I had a buddy hold it up and i put a nut and bolt through it. Shut it gently. There is no motor I will crawl under there and take them both off. I have done it before when it happened.

Don't quite know what is going back in there. But I am removing the factory ones and putting something else in there. I am pondering this and looking at hardware.

All I know is these things do this to much for my liking I had nothing but trouble with them as a kid in the 70's. Not asking much open close not go sideways like when I was a kid or pop loose like this is doing periodically.

The washer they crushed into the pop rivet part. Just is working loose over time then pops off.

Bushing a nut and bolt of some type that looks fairly factory. Tack weld the threads so they can't back off. LOL I got time to think about it.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:00 PM

Left FL. on the 2nd Tony, day after Easter. Hurried up and took out what we needed and anything that could freeze in the motorhome. Then I had to winterize the water system. Next day motorhome was covered with snow.

Everything upstairs has been done. Both baths remodeled, some carpet and paint in all rooms. Now it's time to work on the first floor. Did paint the kitchen, eating area and hall last year. Next on the list is family room. Once the first floor is done, I'm done. Getting too old for this stuff and I still have to finish up some stuff outside from the work that was done.

My Chevelle
Old 04-24-2018, 04:04 PM

There was a guy on the other Chevelle forum that rebuilt hood hinges. Not cheap but sounded like he did a really nice job, much better than factory. Don't recall his name but maybe a search could find him.

My Chevelle