ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > The Backyard meeting spot > Off Topic

Old 07-18-2018, 04:34 AM

Default Random Rumbling........

I just turned 64. I don't need any more tools. A guy that I have known for decades called and said his grandpa, 98 years old, is dying. He has a bunch of old tools to get rid of. Turns out that I knew his grandpa decades ago. He was a welder at the old Fisher Body plant that I worked in as a pipefitter for a year or so back in the late seventies. I ended up buying 5 old hand built tool boxes full of stuff. Some good stuff, some junk. Been sorting and cleaning stuff for a few days. I will never use most of this stuff, and don't even know why I bought it. Just got me thinking about all the stuff that I have accumulated over a life-time and what is going to happen to all of it when I die. In this stuff, there are hand-written notes, burn permits, small diagrams of things that he built, and lots more. Kind of sad to see the way his life is ending. The guy was an exceptional welder, as I remember him. I can't think of anyone that will want all of my junk. Tools, cars, Harleys, car parts, Harley parts, tons of hardware. Guns, knives, ammo should sell pretty good though. The wife is going to have a hell of a time just figuring out what is here.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Agree Tony
I've been thinning out my shop stuff recently...just don't feel like wrenching much anymore.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:52 PM

I rode my motorcycle out to a friends place today. I've know him for almost 50 years. he will be 80 in October. He is
almost dead. Won't be here much longer. He has an interior shop. Been doing it since 1958. His dad worked at Buick Engineering, doing all the show and concept cars interiors, from the early thirties until he died. He has done cars from all over the Country. He did my 34 Ford, the last car that he has done. He has a son that is around 50. Has no interest in his cars and parts or his tools. He says he will just say good by and leave everything to the son to sell as he sees fit. Not much else he can do. I suggested he call the local high school and see if they want anything. They don't. He told me to go out to the shop and take anything that I want. All I wanted was a poster that he made back in 1961.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:17 PM

At the young age of 39 I think about this... never had any kids. At my current age, don't want any. No siblings. It's the end of the road with me. I think when I get to a certain point, I will just sell everything and leave, become a ghost.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 AM

I wish I had my fathers tools. He passed away when I was 7. My mom let my uncle talk her out of them, guess my 3 cousins will get them when he goes. My dad was part owner of a gas station for a while. Then he was a test engineer for General Dynamics so he had a pretty good collection. Oh well, I've been accumulating tools since the late 60's. Our son will get them eventually but he already has a pretty good collection.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 PM

Hank, your dad must have been a very talented man. I am always interested in talking to the older generation guys like him. Just might explain where you got all your talents from. Hope that Henry is doing the same. Do the cousins use the tools? I would be checking with them to see if there are any tools that you dad may have hand-marked with his name or initials. I would love to have something like that from my Grandpa. Not my dad, I hated his mean old drunken ass.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 AM

I know quite a few if not all his hand tools had his name or initials stamped in them. Don't really know where they are now but you're right. I should find out what's left and where they are.

Oh, happy birthday. Damn, you're getting old. I already am old, just turned 66 last month.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 07-20-2018, 07:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Running right with y'all...I'll be 66 in Oct.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoor View Post
At the young age of 39 I think about this... never had any kids. At my current age, don't want any. No siblings. It's the end of the road with me. I think when I get to a certain point, I will just sell everything and leave, become a ghost.
I didn't realize that you are that young. Explains all of your ambition. you always have a lot going. You must have gotten involved with cars because of you dad? Good choice on not having kids. I felt the same way, but there was this waitress at one of my local watering holes, annnnnddd she had a nice ass. Good looking too. All the sudden BLAM, I'm going to be a daddy! About 40 years ago.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:22 AM

My insurance company has been sending me letters about getting a "wellness exam" for a while now. Finally decided that I would go to the saw-bones and see if he can do something about my prostate thing that is going on. It's like they used me for all those prostate commercials on TV. Was on hold for over twenty minuets and can't get in the office for about 5 weeks. I hate going to the doc.