ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Garage > Chevelle Maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Ken Hayes's Avatar
Ken Hayes Ken Hayes is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Dearborn Heights. MI
Posts: 974
Default

I take it the 454 is not the original motor for the car. My 70 only has 2 upper mounting bolts for the shroud, that bolt onto the top radiator hold down plate that has 4 mounting bolts. Sounds like you don't have the right shroud.
__________________
Today, is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday..enjoy it !!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-27-2017, 12:02 PM
glinder46 glinder46 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4
Default

The 454 was the original engine but from what research I have done one of the SBC engines may have had three attachment points. What is funny is that the Assembly Manual shows the same top plate on all engines with the exception of the Chevelles that came with 6 cylinder engines. I do see on some of the restoration catalogs a three attachment bolt kit but it leads to SBC as well. GM if they ran out of the top plates could have substituted this one. I have the build sheet and know that there was only one owner retail wise. The car was owned by two dealers after that. I am going to try stock cushions which are not as large to see if it fixes the problem. It is amazing that even fan clutches that they say are direct replacements usually aren't, too long on the attachment end or too short. I am trying to run this one down as well. The fan sits to far into the shroud by about 1 1/2 in. so the blades are totally into the shroud which is also wrong.

Thanks for the reply,

George Linder
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2017, 12:06 PM
glinder46 glinder46 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Sorry, I missed the first post. No the top plate covering the radiator is 4 bolt. But there is a center opening for another shrould attachment clip and bolt between the two that most shrouds attach to on the top.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Audiokarma.org